Can XP and Linux share the same directory and data files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

komlom

Banned
Hi,
I have 2 computers. One, a 2.4 Ghz celeron, has XP and (soon to have) Linux. The other, a dual P2, has 98SE and (soon to have) Linux. Each OS is on a separate 9 GB hard drive. In addition to these I have a 120 mb 5400 rpm hard drive, an 80 GB 7200 rpm hard drive and a 200 GB 7200 rpm hard drive. I would like to use the three larger disks as data storage for both XP and Linux. I have heard that Linux can read XP directories and both read and write data to XP formatted disks. Is this true? How stable is this? My reason for asking this question - I do a lot of multimedia work that requires huge files, sometimes multiple projects at one time, and it would be really helpful if I can just format the 3 data drives in XP and use them as I like. Most of my software now is in XP but as I learn more about Linux I want t change my applications to the penguin. I HATE WINDOWS I must admit...i am still a DOS lover. I oftent think if DOS had continued to be developed in a SANE and RATIONAL way the world would be a much better place today.

Yes.

You'll need more than one partition, though. Your first partition should be Windows XP (NTFS), Windows 98 (FAT32), or whatever version of Windows you want (note that only 2000 and XP, maybe Vista can support reading Linux partitions). Your second should be where you install Ubuntu (or whatever version of Linux you want, I use Ubuntu), it should be an ext3 partition. You'll also need a Linux Swap partition, keep it small (1GB or lower) as you don't want to spend a lot of hard drive space on swap.

If you have multiple hard drives in one PC (I do, an 80GB and a 120GB), you'll probably want to use the smaller one for the OS'es themselves, then format the others as a FAT32 or NTFS partition (because Linux can read all FS'es natively while Windows can only use FAT, FAT32, and NTFS). Then you can mount your hard drives in Linux. Newer distros like Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 beta can automatically mount the drives for you, if you have root password enabled, you'll have to enter your password first. Older distros (as well as newer ones that you want a more permanent mount) require you to either use the mount command or editing the fstab file, look online for help on that, I forget right now.

For accessing a Linux (ext2 or ext3) partition in Windows (only 2000 and XP are supported), get the driver at Ext2 IFS For Windows (I think that's the site).

To edit partitions easily, grab yourself a copy of Ubuntu (7.04 or 7.10beta), burn the CD, then boot your PC from it (it won't affect your hard drives until you tell it to). In there is the GNOME Partition Editor (gparted) that you can resize, move, delete, and add partitions with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom