Breaking the habit

Status
Not open for further replies.
horndude said:
better get ready to start doing some reading and learning, linux isnt windows, I repeat, linux isnt windows, not even close, whole different deal, what your used to with windows wont work, ubuntu has quite a bit of the setup and configuration available thru GUI's but you need to do some reading so you can understand what your doing and getting into here

http://www.tldp.org
http://www.lowfatlinux.com

That was my first mistake - switching to Linux without reading a word about what it was and how it worked. I was EXTREMELY frustrated, and immediately hated it. I kept wondering why anyone would make something so hard to use. But once I configured my dual boot, I was able to still use Windows to learn and then I was able to get it configured exactly how I want. Now that I realize how straight forward it is, I love it.

My suggestion to you, first off, is to get a book about Debian based Linux distrobutions. It is extremely helpful. I picked up a book at my local library called Linux in a Nutshell volume 3, which has information all about the essential terms in Debian distrobutions and the Gnome desktop environment. It has information on other distrobutions of linux also.

Aside from a few things, I think you will find Ubuntu pretty user freindly, I use it and so far the only real problem I had was dial up, but I ended up doing a dist-upgrade to Hoary, which automatically had pppd 2.4.3 (Warty had 2.4.2) and my problem was fixed.

Good luck with your transition into the linux world!

ane question, i have a ADSL modem hooked up to a switch, which is hooked up to 2 computers via ethernet. how to i get Ubuntu to work with the internet?

I'm not too familiar with ADSL, but if the Ubuntu box is one of the 2 hooked up to the switch, I'm sure you would just be able to hook it up and activate network eth0, granted it recognizes and configures your network card for you.

static ip or dhcp?

I havent used ubuntu, but im guessing somewhere in the GUI or desktop there's going to be somekind of networking tool or wizard similar to windows, use that to enter the IP info, it may even allow you to get your network card working too

open a terminal while logged in as root and type:
lspci
should show whatever pci devices that are attached that ubuntu already sees, is your NIC card detected?

check to see if whatever GUI networking tools it does have allow you to configure devices

Try going to System -> Administration -> Networking and select Ethernet Connection, and then to the right click "Activate" and see what happens.

how are the other computers setup?did you pick an IP for the other PC's, if so, its a static ip(stays the same)

as root in a console or terminal type:
ifconfig eth0 <unique_ip_address_on_same_subnet> up
then open /etc/resolv.conf and add the DNS server ip your ISP uses
/etc/resolv.conf is a text file, try to open it with pico or any other text editor
like pico /etc/resolv.conf
to save hit ctrl-o
done

the other computers are windowz, i did what u said and it seems to work, thanks guys, soonish i wanna put it onto my good computer as a dual boot

the main problem i have with linux (other than this i love it to death, i spen 99% of my time on it) is that the hardware detection isn't as good as windows. it's easy to see why this is, as companies aren't *forced* to introduce drivers if they aren't needed, and sine less than 1% of the computer-using population uses linux, there's isn't much of a demand. with windows if you plug in a piece of hardware, you usually don't even have to insert the driver cd, windows can automatically install the driver for you. in linux it's a bit more complicated and involved, but in the end it's more than worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom