Booting linux from within windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
the general said:
wait, cant VMware use a physical partition? (i believe it sasys for advanced users only or someting) but shouldnt it be possible to install linux on a physical partition, and then boot it from vmware? i know it wouldnt be possible vise versa with windows, because windows will get all screwed up if you boot with different hardware, but linux doesnt mind.

yes vmware can use a physical partition to boot into linux from windows.

if you search this forum you should find an old thread where i had a link to a program that can mount EXT2 and 3 partitions. it can't fully mount EXT3 it mounts it as EXT2 so you lose journalling but it works read/write. if you just want to run linux inside of windows qemu works well.

edit: as i recall i also found a program that worked for OSX as well, never tested it myself but macdude said it worked. i'll see if i can find my old thread.

edit2: linkage my friends. i don't know if you can still get the program but if not contact me and i should be able to send you an old version.

http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75108

Yeay I tried it out, it looks the same like microsoft virtual pc

The best option would be VMware, which as previously mentioned can boot linux from a physical drive

there are versions of linux which are fat32 friendly so in theory they could be installed on the same partition as a windows installation about they both could not be booted simulatniously, I believe it has something to do with each OS wanting to lock the hardware for dedicated use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom