big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raekwon

Daemon Poster
master drive : 40Gb IBM drive
slave drive : 4.2Gb Maxtor drive

ill try to keep this short.

i had XP pro installed on the 40gb, then i installed linux (ubuntu) on the 4.2gb drive, they were both working properly, with grub. then i moved the ubuntu drive, i unplugged the IDE cable, then moved the drive where i wanted it, plugged the IDE cable back in, booted up and get the error message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, REPLACE SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" or something to the same effect. after a while i realised i could boot into windows using the ubuntu live CD. so the computer wont detect my 40gb drive without my 4.2 in as well. ive done numerous formats of both drives, but not at the same time, ive done

fdisk /mbr

that doesnt work either, i just dont get it, could someone give me any kind of insight as to how i could to about fixing this? i know im thinking worst case scenario, but could my IDE controller possibly be damaged? i have no idea how that could have happened, but its a possiblitly right?

Check your jumper on the 40 gig... its prop set to master w/ a slave. That would give you the problem your having..

yeah, ive tried both those things, neither have any effect. thanks all the same. can anyone else help?

Raekwon,

For some reason this situation is screaming "BIOS !!!" at me. I dunno...I could be wrong. Worth checking out.

Have tried updating anything than relates to your BIOS? You might try that.

Unless your cable has gone bad (which is really easy to rule out...try a different one...duh). You might also want to make sure that the cable is firmly plugged into the motherboard.

Is your system doing any other strange things along with this?

try looking in the bios to see if it sees the disks. if it doesn't you have a cable problem or a disk configuration problem. Try one disk at a time. make sure it is set as master.

yeah, ive done all that as well, appart from update my bios.

ive reset the bios twice, and that hasnt fixed it.
i tried on disk at a time, but the 40gb disk isnt detected in the bios when the 4.2gb drive isnt plugged in.
just yesterday, when i tried to install linux on the 4.2gb drive, i found that it has buffer I/O errors, and linux wont install on it, could this drive be the whole problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom