Best way to transfer MP3's from Windows to Edgy Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
7.1 does auto mount. At least it did for me. This was already being discussed in the 8.04 release sticky in Linux area. Calc said his didnt auto mount but it did for me. But 8.04 didnt auto mount.

i posted in hardware because i thought there was something i had to do to the new drive to be able to access the xp side and linux side cuz i knew formats were different but now isee.

Drive formats are a issue between Linux and Windows. But is is still not a hardware issue. File Systems are all software based. ;)

Yup not a problem. I have jsut got to get my Linux issues resolved and i will be good to go....:p

Do you really need to use Edgy instead of a newer version?

If so, you can install the ntfs-3g package and it will give you NTFS read/write permissions. It's in the repos.

If it doesn't automatically mount after installing that, here is a howto to help you edit fstab to automatically mount your NTFS drive.

Do you really need to use Edgy instead of a newer version?

If so, you can install the ntfs-3g package and it will give you NTFS read/write permissions. It's in the repos.

If it doesn't automatically mount after installing that, here is a howto to help you edit fstab to automatically mount your NTFS drive.

Thanks for the input but i've got it all worked out :)

6.10 (Edgy) is REALLY OLD! The problem with it is that it doesn't have a good NTFS driver (the full NTFS R/W support came in 7.04 if I'm not mistaken). You can read NTFS, but not write to it. You should be able to mount it for reading simply by going to Places -> Computer and click "xx GB Volume" (where "xx" is the number of GB of your Windows partition). In 7.10 or 8.04 you'll be prompted for a password and then you can access the drive. I'm pretty sure you can access the drive in 7.04 and earlier by the same method, but if you can't, you can use the "sudo mount" command (maybe "sudo mnt", I forget...) to mount the drive.

To add the drive permanently (as in, always mounted, always available) you can edit /etc/fstab ("sudo gedit /etc/fstab", fstab is File System Table, a text file that contains what drives to mount at startup).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom