Best Linux Live Distro..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdLeft152

Daemon Poster
I need a good live cd that i can use to transfer files from one hard drive to another. Windows on one of my hard drives somehow seemed to become corrupt and won't boot anymore, so i need to transfer some files. However i can't seem to find a good distro that is easy to use and works well. anyone have a suggestion?

thanks

Jakec..Ubuntu comes on 1CD as well and works out of the box. I had more hardware working on my Ubuntu install than i did on my PCLOS isntall. ;)

Best out of the 4 i have used is Ubuntu. Then would be PCLOS then Knippox.

@ Makaveli

Don't Like ubuntu, so I do not recomend it to anyone. Personal preference that's all, I'm the opposite I got more of my H/W working on PCLinuxOS than ubuntu

Jake

I definitely say Ubuntu. It's a good distro for both LiveCD and full desktop use. It provides a full-blown desktop in LiveCD mode, so it's easy for new users. With the latest versions, you can easily mount, copy, and even access network files and folders. You also get GParted, so you can make hard drive partition tweaks in the LiveCD.

However, for LiveCD use, I sometimes just want something that boots up fast and gets the job done. For that case, I'd recommend DSL (Damn Small Linux - DSL information) or Puppy Linux (www.puppylinux.org). Both are light enough to run fairly well on a Pentium 133MHz with 64MB running a lightweight X server and basic (JWM or Fluxbox) window manager. DSL is based around Debian, so you can get APT and use .deb (Debian/Ubuntu) packages, while Puppy has special packages.

@ Makaveli

Don't Like ubuntu, so I do not recomend it to anyone. Personal preference that's all, I'm the opposite I got more of my H/W working on PCLinuxOS than ubuntu

Jake
While i can understand that. Getting applications and things like that for a PCLOS install is tough. I still can not get the Opera 9.50 Beta to install on PCLOS while on Ubuntu it is just a simple click. That is the only reason why i suggested Ubuntu over PCLOS. There is no definate answer as to which Distro it is since it uses things from Fedora and Deb based distros while it is also much different than those as well.

Ubuntu is much easier to learn from. Having used both side by side i can say that from a beginner stand point. I installed both at the same time and found ubuntu to be easier to learn Linux from. At least from there i can build.;)

Make sure that you don't have some strange hardware setup. I run in sli, and the cards are set stock at different clock speeds. In windows, I load ati tool at every start to oc them, instead of flashing the cards. When I went to load ubuntu I completely forgot about the different clock speeds. The live cd ran terribly. I had to actually take one of the cards out to get everything running smoothly.

Yeah that was way off topic haha. I'd say ubuntu. It runs right out of the box, and can read and write ntfs.

WOLVIX!!! I tried it not too long ago and it is the BEST live cd distro i have seen. It's also the best at LiveUSB. it's the easiest to install on usb of any distro (livecd has a usb installer) and it runs great.

I'm not sure about it as a full time distro on the hard disk, but it is the best for livecd/liveusb

thanks for all the responses, i actually used a tool at work that helped repair my partition and then was able to use knoppix and gparted to fix my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom