best linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
if I remember right tiny linux is more like basiclinux with a couple extras,no GUI, its all text mode, but X could be added if you wanted.The initial install is from floppy, im guessing directly into ram probably too.

damn small linux has X and a browser,email client,mp3/cd player,pdf reader,small word processor app, and a few other goodies.It runs in ram and off the cd.Good for old 386-p166's or so, after that try knoppix or one of the bigger live cd's if your looking for more.

horndude said:
if I remember right tiny linux is more like basiclinux with a couple extras,no GUI, its all text mode, but X could be added if you wanted.The initial install is from floppy, im guessing directly into ram probably too.

damn small linux has X and a browser,email client,mp3/cd player,pdf reader,small word processor app, and a few other goodies.It runs in ram and off the cd.Good for old 386-p166's or so, after that try knoppix or one of the bigger live cd's if your looking for more.

Hmm...you see, I have a 75 MHz Pentium machine in my basement collecting dust, with 40 megs of RAM (upgraded from 8 :laughing:...), a single gig hard drive, and some other junk like that. I'm thinking of loading a Linux distro on it so I can use it as an FTP server just for quick hosting and trading of...well...up to a gigabyte of files, I suppose. I'll look into the Damn Small then. Thanks.

nemesis987 said:
hm, LINUXFROMSCRATCH.org :) have fun

HAH!!...:laughing:

Maybe we should all collaborate to make a TF Linux...that would be an interesting project...

qiranworms said:
HAH!!...:laughing:

Maybe we should all collaborate to make a TF Linux...that would be an interesting project...

My friends in a linux class at school want to make a distro that would be able to run Windows programs. I told them good luck, the programming alone would take forever to build...:p

i'm currently working on a LFS project. i hear from somewhere that chicks dig BSD, though :D. currently using vector until i have my LFS going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom