Best Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

str8lazy

In Runtime
Ok, I found this website LinuxISO and it has all of these versions of linux on there. And I just wanted someone to basically tell me about the user interface and the system etc... I know about Redhat, Knoppix, and Mandrake, but I dont know much about the other ones

The standard interface for any *nix is the commend line interface.

Most linux distributions contain exactly the same software. It is the installation and upgrade processes that differ and have proprietry/different parts.

Linux has 2 major GUI's, Gnome and KDE. These run in an X server environment. Though there are plenty of widow managers out there.

Lots of distributions are put together for a particular purpose, ie. turn your machne into a server, firewall, workstation etc.

All based on the same kernels.

nak-1 is correct, the difference is in how you install. For example Mandrake, Fedora Core, Suse are newbie distros and very easy to install. Debian, Gentoo, Slackware and etc are expert distros and harder to install. Also the difference is in speed and stability, the expert distros tend to be a lot more stable. Then there are live cd distros such as Knoppix which you do not need to install, and run from the cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom