Beowulf Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnms238

Solid State Member
I have quite a little scenario. Any hints, links, or answers would be greatly appreciated.

I am attempting to make a Beowulf cluster for a school project. I am using Redhat Linux 7.2 Publisher's Edition, and there are five computers in the cluster, all of which have Pentium II's, 128MB of RAM, 3GB of hard disk space, and lots of other things that are equally old.

My question is this: What do I need to do, scripting- and configuration-wise, to make these boxes act in a Beowulfy manner? Linux was installed on the head of the cluster, then the hard drive was removed and Norton Ghost was used to copy the installation to the other four computers. Then, they were configured on a small, private network, and they can successfully ping each other. Yay for connectivity.

The whole thing also needs to connect to the Interweb through my school's network, which uses static IP's (we've gotten permission to use one for this cluster). We'd also like to sync them up using NTP, with the head computer serving the dual purposes of being the NTP server and a NAT-enabled router box.

Quite a bit to take at once, I know. But if anyone can give insight into any of these aspects, I'd appreciate it. You will probably also want to know that I and my accomplices have very little Linux knowledge, but we should be able to get by with basic things.

have you tried using google or another search engine for beowulf clusters???????

Getting it set up and working isnt too tough, writing code to take advantage of it, and actually having a problem that can best be solved using parallel computing is another issue.

There are some basic premade scripts to handle commmunication and load balancing, but still, whatever problem you are trying to solve suing it ill dictate alot of how its setup.

Ive herd that Beowolf clusters are a big pain in the ass. If your just trying to do cpu clustering or what ever its called then why not take a look at mozix. It seems simpler and you dont have to coad anything (BOOYA!) anyways, take a look at that. Tell me if it works.

http://www.mosix.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom