Beginner linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vybuni said:
I have 256Kbps DSL and with most downloads i usually get a steady rate of 60-67Kbps. This download is really ****ing me off though. I get a bursts of good speeds, but then nothing for a minute or two, then another burst for like 30 seconds, and so on. :mad: I left it on all night and all day today, and it still hasnt finished the first iso. Its only at 67% as of now.

Where are you downloading from? Try different mirrors or sites.

Ive tryed nearly half of the mirrors on the mandriva site and they all have the same result :(.

Vybuni said:
I have 256Kbps DSL and with most downloads i usually get a steady rate of 60-67Kbps. This download is really ****ing me off though. I get a bursts of good speeds, but then nothing for a minute or two, then another burst for like 30 seconds, and so on. :mad: I left it on all night and all day today, and it still hasnt finished the first iso. Its only at 67% as of now.

those speeds (60-67kB/s) are what 512k DSL connections get, you should be getting 30-35kB/s maybe for 256kb/s, but thats awesome if you get those speeds constantly and id be happy if i got 60-67 constant on my 512 connection :)

edit: forgot to add that i have ubuntu 5.10 installed (dual boot) and i dont think it is very userfriendly, you have to really work to get what you want with all the restrictions.. there arent that many things that resemble windows (any) but i suppose there is a huge security gap between windows and linux.

I am currently using PCLOS...............and liking it pretty good I may add.Long story short.I had video adapter issues on T22 laptop after reinstall of windows I couldnt get past.So I decided it was a good time to try Linux.

Chose to buy a bootable Live cd off ebay dirt cheap............Tried it off the Cd for a week and chose to install on Hdd.Partitioned for the dual boot and installed.

Been using that way for about 3 weeks now.By the way;the video adapter issues was having does not even exist in Linux(not this distro anyway)

I do however have a wireless issue ;but,expect to overcome this in the near future.

This could be one of the more painless conversions from windows to Linux;there is still a learning curve,but,you gotta start somewhere..............good luck choosing........:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom