Beginner linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vybuni

Daemon Poster
What is the best version of linux to get started with? Im want to get into the world of linux, but i dont know where i should start. Im looking for one that is fairly straightforward and simple to get started with.

I would say Mandriva as well, partly because of it's easy installation process. I am not sure if I would recommend SuSE though, I have always had annoying problems with them and their package managing system (but that's just me and many people love it).

Mandriva is amazingly easy to install compared to most of those, Kubuntu is good but not as easy on installation and some other things that would make me recommend something else.

Thanks for the info. I think ill try mandriva.

Is it really necessary to download all 3 iso's from their site? Thats gonna take a hella long time to do. :(

I would say Mandriva first but then i would say red hat then fedora core and then ubuntu and then you could just wait for Googe's OS :p

Fedora is a cutting edge test distro, it isnt meant for general usage nor for beginners, says this right on their website.

Suse is fine, but your stuck with using precompiled binaries by default cause its doesnt come with a compiler.

Doesnt matter which one anybody chooses if you make the same common mistakes everyone seems to make repeatedly.

PLEASE, check your freakin hardware first and make sure its supported. Alot of you have almost new cutting edge high end gaming systems and all of a sudden you expect to jump into linux and not have any issues, aint gonna happen. On top of that, windows doesnt teach anything about what makes a PC work, you need to know a few things, linux isnt windows.

Vybuni said:
Thanks for the info. I think ill try mandriva.

Is it really necessary to download all 3 iso's from their site? Thats gonna take a hella long time to do. :(

Yes, be thankful you aren't going for SuSE then...5 CD's :)

What speed do you have as far as download? It usually only takes me about 2 hours to get all of them downloaded and on CD's ready to go.

I have 256Kbps DSL and with most downloads i usually get a steady rate of 60-67Kbps. This download is really ****ing me off though. I get a bursts of good speeds, but then nothing for a minute or two, then another burst for like 30 seconds, and so on. :mad: I left it on all night and all day today, and it still hasnt finished the first iso. Its only at 67% as of now.

I have heard PCLinuxOS is better than Mandriva, but I havn't used either one. PClinuxOS is basicly a better distro based off of Mandriva.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom