Been working on this for days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
I swear, I have read EVERY article in the world on this.

Ubuntu 10.10
IP Address: 192.168.1.21
Samba is installed

Windows 7
IP Address: 192.168.1.20
Homegroups are disabled entirely
Firewall Disabled
Windows Live Credentials thing is disabled (installed with MSN Messenger.)

Both are in the SAME work group, can ping each other just fine, but, I can not access ANY windows shares, and vice versa. I can connect when I go to Places > Connect to Server and pick Windows Share, but, it keeps on asking for my freaking password, over and over, and won't accept it, blank, or not, using any logon credentials from either machine.

So, what am I doing wrong? :(

All I wanna do is be able to stream my movies from the windows 7 machine to the ubuntu machine, I would have given up and just used FTP by now, but, VLC hates FTP it seems, and I don't have enough diskspace for downloading much to the ubuntu machine, as it's a live ubuntu install on a 2gb flash drive.

Ok, after some research Windows Live 2011, forces the install of that sign in assistance thingy, and is hidden inside the messenger application, after removing windows live messenger 2011 and live mail, I can access my windows shares from ubuntu, still can't mount, but, I am glad I can FINALLY stream my movies/music from the server.

I am seriously about to go back to 2009 on windows.

Wow. I wouldn't have called that it was Windows Messenger (Live + Mail) that was causing the issues. Crazy Microsoft. :p

I don't get why you can't mount the drives within Ubuntu. Once you access a network share it should mount it as a device. Can you bounce between Windows to Ubuntu and vice versa, as far as accessing shares on each machine?

Yea, ubuntu just doesn't let me mount them, though I can access them? No clue honestly, I just happen to get a lot of strange errors it seems as I am doing a live persistent install on a 2gb flash drive. -.-

I saw numerous posts about that assistance software that must be removed from the windows machine, but it appears Microsoft placed that nicely inside Messenger and Mail in 2011, I only found one person online that said to do this, and I can't even remember how I came by his tutorial.

So are you just going to keep windows with out the firewall? Why do not you just open the port in the firewall if it is not already open!?

I don't worry much with my windows firewall, I have it disabled for private lan connections, but enabled for public and internet, im still behind the routers firewall, so it's really no biggie. Anyways, I got the shares to mount now, though, they disappear if the screen saver kicks in x_X Yet, another very random error in this install, one **** of a headache figuring this out, but now, I am strangely enjoying it.

So your live install is literally a livecd instance? If you reboot it's toast? I'm wondering if you had a true install if things would work differently. But even still, I remember being on a livecd and mounting a network share for a quick trial run of something.

It's a headache networking with Windows 7. Just compare it to any other Windows version. There are much more hurdles to jump over that didn't exist before. Since my only instance of W7 exists along side Ubuntu, networking it hasn't been an option.

I'm curious what the true fix is for everything in your situation. Post back with any updates!

It's not a live cd, its a live usb with persistence, at the shutdown phase, i guess the drive gets all the updates, as sometimes, shutdowns take FOREVER, hopefully there will be an update for ubuntu, or windows that can address these issues in the future.

Though, the live usb does think it's a livecd when inside the os, at the boot page, it knows it's a live flash drive.

Ok, so I decided to install 10.10 onto a hard drive, and try this again, as my flash drive did fail.

I have setup everything and should be able to connect, but, I am back to the issue with Ubuntu asking for the password over and over and over when trying to connect to my Win7 shares, any clues?

ok, **** it, every place I go to, people have the same ****ing issue and the same ****ing answers, that dont work are shoved down every ones throats

ubuntu = fail

Ok, so I decided to install 10.10 onto a hard drive, and try this again, as my flash drive did fail.

I have setup everything and should be able to connect, but, I am back to the issue with Ubuntu asking for the password over and over and over when trying to connect to my Win7 shares, any clues?

ok, **** it, every place I go to, people have the same ****ing issue and the same ****ing answers, that dont work are shoved down every ones throats

ubuntu = fail

Are you sure it's an Ubuntu problem?

The only time I've seen Ubuntu continually ask over and over for a password was when connecting via samba to another Ubuntu machine. I realized something on the other (server) samba/Ubuntu machine. Samba/Linux work in two layers. You have the samba layer and the share level. At least that's what I refer to them as. Both of them need to be sync'd up in order to work.

Example - If I have a folder owned by root:jason with 770 permissions, that means ONLY root and jason (or anybody in the jason group) can access the folder. Well, if I say to Samba - Hey! Give everyone access to this folder, ******! It won't matter, because at the FOLDER level it's blocking access of any kind (hence the 0 in 770). Then if I try to log in as Bob, there's no access. That's the only time I've seen Ubuntu kick back over and over the password screen... as if it's wanting you to authenticate with a user who has proper access. That's why samba/folder level need to be in sync to work properly.

Now granted, you're not doing Ubuntu to Ubuntu, but I'm throwing this example out there because your symptoms I've seen before. Networking with Windows 7 is a different beast in itself, but it can be done. ****, I've done it. I just don't know what would be different about my setup vs your setup to not allow those things to work. Then again... I've never tried to ACCESS Windows 7 from an Ubuntu machine. My machines (and servers in particular of any kind) are always some variant of Linux... so I can't offer any reverse advice on that.

But just throwing out some food for thought. I'm sure it can be done. After all, this isn't Month 1 Windows 7 has been around. I'm sure this ******* has been cracked already.

What if you throw to me everything you got in regards to your setup. You have Win 7 with homegroups disabled, k good. That's a start. What about firewall setups? Folder permissions on both Ubuntu and Windows? Users? Account access, etc? Throw everything on the board here and we'll see if we can pwn the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom