back to linux forums lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
ok, got a file... trying to get pidgin, got the file, it's a .bz2 file. I've run the commands you guys helped me with before, but it doesn't like the bz2 for some reason. the full file name is pidgin-2.2.2.tar.bz2 can anyone tell me the command for this installation?

*I already have GAIM, but I've been told that pidgin is better*

Trying to use .bz2, .tar, etc is a Linux nightmare. It's not worth it, especially when Gutsy (Ubuntu 7.10) includes Pidgin preinstalled by default. You can try using alien to convert to debian packages, but if that fails, just upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon (Ubuntu 7.10) through either the Update Manager or download the ISO and install it new (which provides a more stable install).

You could *try* adding Gutsy repos to Feisty, but I'm unsure how well that'd work. Here's the .deb lines for Gutsy:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main universe restricted multiverse

Put that in /etc/apt/sources.list and try again. Search Synaptic for 'pidgin'.

I am running linux XP as my main os right now.. I have ubuntu 6.something somewhere on disk, but it's not installed. (it's also on one of my hard drives, but it's not labeled). the directions given seem to be geared for ubuntu... any other options for downloading an easier version of pidgin out there?

What does Linux XP use for package management? Does it use Debian packages (apt-get, Synaptic) or Red Hat Packages (RPM) or something else? It should have some sort of program to convert .bz2 into .deb, .rpm, etc, but .bz2 is confusing because sometimes they are binaries and sometimes they are source, and compiling them is just a pain, so try to find a binary somewhere.

Download | Pidgin

Pidgin's download site has Red Hat and Fedora Core packages right there...and it gives you instructions :)

Try that, and if it fails and you do decide to switch distros, I recommend Ubuntu, it's package management is downright easy and I haven't had problems finding or installing any software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom