AV/FW Software for Ubuntu

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I don't know if this should go in the AV section, or Linux section. Feel free to move if need be.

Anyway, I'm looking at suggestions for Antivirus and/or Firewalls for Ubuntu 12.0.4. I plan to move to it soon. As Windows 8 looks grim, and 90% of my apps are open source. And for ones that are Windows only, I have found alternatives.

Yeah, you get these mixed conceptions that Linux doesn't need one because there are no viruses in Linux. When in fact they do, I remember a few talked about in the past. It's just that they are not as popular in numbers as Windows.

I heard BitDefender was good. But as seeing it is paid, erm... What do you guys think? Jayce? :p

Haven't seen you around here lately, Kmote.

I never ran an AV on my laptop upon which I have Ubuntu 12.0.4. But as I choose to make this my mainstream OS in the future, best be prepared. ;)

The only time I ran an AV on any Linux system was on my file server. Only reason I did that as an extra security blanket since Windows machines were backing up to the file server. That way if I found a virus in /media/storage/fred, I would know that I need to run a Windows AV on fred's system (if the virus hadn't been caught already via daily scan).

Other than that, I've never ran an anti virus. Then again, I also wouldn't execute a script somebody linked me to in an IRC chat either.

I wouldn't bother with either really unless you're running a server. In the past I had success with Firestarter as a frontend for configuring iptables firewall rules graphically, I tend to use ConfigServer Firewall on my actual servers. AV I wouldn't bother to run unless it's for the safety of Windows machines that access it.

Back
Top Bottom