Automatically email screenshot software???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip but now I have questions.

I set up the crontab file to this:

MAILTO=******@*********
35 23 * * * import -window 0x234333 oxp.jpg

I then get a message here /var/spool/mail/*******

Subject: cron: import -window 0x2603379 opx.jpg

import: unable to open X server `'.

Do I have to run a script?

it might have to run with set user id as root, and the x server must be running obviously

I have the script setup to take the screenshot and cron to execute it when I want.

The problem is that I don't receive an email. What program do I have to setup to send an email from my system to a gmail address?

Thanks for the help so far.

well make sure the commands in the script work first

try that screen import command as a regular user, if it doesnt work or only works as root then you gotta fix that first, because the error listed above is suggesting that import must be run as root, you may have to change the permissions of import

to send the email of the results you use the sendmail program I believe, mailto will only do a intranet or intrasystem email

I decided to have the script ftp the screenshot to a webpage instead of emailing it. That works but the import command doesn't take the screenshot of a window i specified, it just takes whatever is on the screen at the time.
Is there a way to get it to take a screenshot of a specific firefox window?

I believe so yes, check the man page for import, I think you can choose which window it grabs( I think)

you may have an issue figuring out which one it is though, im not sure how they get designated or numbered with respect to how X handles different windows, but Im pretty sure import is part of the X package so be ready to start digging thru some X documentation which is huge to say the least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom