ATI Radeon 5870 graphic card driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkphotoguy

Baseband Member
Hey guys I found an unsupported graphics card driver for my ATI radon 5870 in linux 9.10 I was wondering if this was a good idea to use this card driver or if it would mess my graphic card up thanks jkphotoguy

It won't mess up your graphics card but it could cause some software problems. I'm unsure of what the official support is for the 5870 but usually the mainstream support (official drivers/drivers incorporated into OS package system) is good enough so stick to it.

I'm moving this to the linux section where it belongs and you'll get better answers.

ok cool i was also wondering if having an unsupported driver could make the fan speed do weird things and over heat the card?

When I went into " system/administration/hardware drivers It told me that there was an unsupported driver that I could download..when I plays games or do anything that is graphically intense I do not get as good of a frame per second rate as I do with my windows which has the supported driver.

That's normal because ATI drivers for linux are terrible. At this moment the best GPU for linux are the NVIDIA ones because they have better drivers. But even with a NVIDIA card you can't get the same performance as in windows. If you want to game use windows in dual boot.

That's normal because ATI drivers for linux are terrible. At this moment the best GPU for linux are the NVIDIA ones because they have better drivers. But even with a NVIDIA card you can't get the same performance as in windows. If you want to game use windows in dual boot.

If you're running Nvidia drivers from several years ago, I'd agree. I get rather impressive performance with Counterstrike Source in Wine on Ubuntu running a Nvidia card.

I can't speak for ATI, besides the overwelming opinion of them, which tends to be summed up like this: They used to royally suck, but have gotten remarkably better, but still trail a bit behind Nvidia as of today.

^ As of today, nVidia trails far behind ATi. Drivers from ATi have gotten a bit better, and will see a huge improvement with this month's driver release. nVidia is nearing release of their new Fermi cards though, but by the looks of things might not punch ATi's lights out this time ;)

/off topic comment

If you're running Nvidia drivers from several years ago, I'd agree. I get rather impressive performance with Counterstrike Source in Wine on Ubuntu running a Nvidia card.

I can't speak for ATI, besides the overwelming opinion of them, which tends to be summed up like this: They used to royally suck, but have gotten remarkably better, but still trail a bit behind Nvidia as of today.

Say what? I remember the X1950XTX kicking nVidia's *** for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom