ATI Radeon 5870 graphic card driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what? I remember the X1950XTX kicking nVidia's *** for quite a while.

I wasn't comparing ATI and Nvidia performance.

I was comparing their quality of Linux support.

^ As of today, nVidia trails far behind ATi. Drivers from ATi have gotten a bit better, and will see a huge improvement with this month's driver release. nVidia is nearing release of their new Fermi cards though, but by the looks of things might not punch ATi's lights out this time ;)

/off topic comment

Agree to disagree. ATI has made significant improvement with Linux support, but there's still quite a few weird finicky problems that users often times run into with ATI. Nvidia isn't exempt from this, but I've heard of less problems with Nvidia than I have ATI. With how quickly technology changes, my opinion of yesterday might be false according to today. Who knows. ;)

I ran one ATI card on Ubuntu with flying colors. Would I hesitate to get an ATI card with a Linux box? No. But I would do a little more homework prior to seeing if it works beforehand, whereas an Nvidia card I'd more than likely buy blindly.

I would never buy a card blindly, that's just silly. Like I said, ATi's drivers gotten a bit better (read: gotten, bit), never said they were better or whatever compared to nVidia, as I think the general consensus is that nVidia's drivers are better. I really don't want to talk about video cards or argue a point, just wanted to make sure what I said was clear...I would hate to look like a fanboy because that's just horrible hehe ;)

I would never buy a card blindly, that's just silly. Like I said, ATi's drivers gotten a bit better (read: gotten, bit), never said they were better or whatever compared to nVidia, as I think the general consensus is that nVidia's drivers are better. I really don't want to talk about video cards or argue a point, just wanted to make sure what I said was clear...I would hate to look like a fanboy because that's just horrible hehe ;)

Like you said, Nvidia's drivers trail far behind ATi. That struck me as... well... a comparison.

Read:
As of today, nVidia trails far behind ATi.

Like you said, Nvidia's drivers trail far behind ATi. That struck me as... well... a comparison.

Read:

I said nVidia, not nVidia's drivers. I guess I should have worded it more correctly, that part about nVidia trailing was in response to your comment "They used to royally suck, but have gotten remarkably better, but still trail a bit behind Nvidia as of today." I was responding according to GPU performance. And then I went on about drivers. Sorry for the miscommunication.

I said nVidia, not nVidia's drivers. I guess I should have worded it more correctly, that part about nVidia trailing was in response to your comment "They used to royally suck, but have gotten remarkably better, but still trail a bit behind Nvidia as of today." I was responding according to GPU performance. And then I went on about drivers. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Ahh. I gotcha now. My entire mindset when typing that was based on each companies quality of Linux support. I have no quarrel with ATI or Nvidia and don't have a real preference in terms of performance. I just tend to sway to Nvidia more due to my Linux interests, but like I mentioned - ATI has been closing the gap for some time now. Not *quite* there, but it's a gap that is diminishing in size.

Ahhh haha woops.

It really would be nice to see more support, though. It would be even nicer to see games come to Linux. That would be the end all to M$ though, I'm sure there would be assassination attempts before that happened. A free OS that you can play games on AND be secure? Oh noes.

Ahhh haha woops.

It really would be nice to see more support, though. It would be even nicer to see games come to Linux. That would be the end all to M$ though, I'm sure there would be assassination attempts before that happened. A free OS that you can play games on AND be secure? Oh noes.

I don't think it'll be too long, my friend.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f45/rumor-steam-coming-mac-226509/#post1783432

I read a while back Steam developers were looking into Mac/Linux support. It seems natural to dive into Mac first since they have more market share than Linux, but I wouldn't be surprised if support ventures into the Linux avenue relatively soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom