Athlon 64 chips and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacde

Beta member
I have a general question about running linux on a 64 bit processor: has anyone had any experience running applications for Linux after install? I mean the processor is supported by the OS and in theory, the application should use the os to access resources but there are applications that access resources directly and Im wondering what those are because obviously they wont work in this configuration.

It will work, its backwards compatible.Very very few applications have been written as of yet to take advantage of a 64bit machine.The kernel supports it, but keep in mind there's still some apps that make use of 16bit code still to this day that are part of most linux distros.

I havent checked but Im guessing the instruction set is probably the same with maybe some added commands, but then again maybe not.I would assume all the 3dnow instructions are still intact.

Ahh, thats a good way to look at it. Obviously any application that will access a resource directly would have to use the chips instruction set, so if thats consistent, then the app would still work. I hadnt thought that through completely, thanks.

Im still interested if anyone has experience with it though. Im thinking of trying that chip and Im feeling a little more comfortable with it now.

Modern machines run in protected mode so the system itself is protected from bad commands.The system is also isolated as far as resources, you still have to work within that framework so to speak.Ive been tinkering with assembly language lately and learning more than I care to :)

Ive never run anything on an athlon64 but others on other forums have and I havent heard any complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom