apache .htaccess stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan

Daemon Poster
:( hahah i was going thru "stopping some services" lol, and i shut down something that i need to use .htaccess files....i enabled and and a few other things, but i don't know what the **** i did...:rolleyes: so, now i want it reenabled....anyone know what service needs to be started?

i forgot what all serverices i shut down, btw...thanks

Exactly what are you using .htaccess files for, what software is using them. You need to put this into some sort of context.

Apache uses .htaccess to control access to the current directory and all sub directories, so saying
i shut down something that i need to use .htaccess files
doesn't make much sense, to me anyway

yea exactly. apache uses the config in .htaccess to to modify the security permissions on that parent folder and any other subfolder, ie...limiting access to view the directory contents of a folder without an index.*whatever file in it. or what i'm using it for, authentication. it is setup in colation with an .htpasswd file store on my local machine outside the relm of the /var/www/* folder.

so back to my original topic, is there a second service that works with apache for authentication? if so do you know what it is? becuase i seemed to have stop some service that works with apache to do simple auth...

thanks,
shan

Not normally, for authentication against a simple .htpasswd file that is handled by a module (mod_auth) directly compiled into a loaded into apache. No additional daemon is needed.

When you try and access this protected folder does it just let you in, or is there an error? If there is an error what is it?

Check the permissions for both the .htaccess and .htpasswd files, they should be readable by the user apache runs as.

Could you give us a list of all the services on your system indicating which ones are running and I'll try and work out if any of the others should be running

You are using Apache 2.0.54 on Fedora right?
PS: I'm not stalking you, honest; I got your link from your other post, and looked at the http headers from the page given

Maybe you had apache setup to use ldap? Check if you have LDAP on your system, and running. I just noticed that Apache creates a mod_ldap, if you ask it to configure all the modules, even if you don't have ldap loaded or setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom