Anyone run Skype in Ubuntu? Or at least have their microphone working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit and I just decided to try out Skype since I use it in a few different games in Windows Vista. But for the life of me I cannot get anybody to hear me using Skype. I tried a sound recorder program to record my voice and verify my microphone works and sure enough, it doesn't.

I don't know what else to do. I've exhausted everything I could think of. It's plugged in right, it isn't muted, etc etc. I've tried changing the input/output sound settings within Skype too, but like I said, since I can't even get my mic to work outside of Skype, I can't imagine I'd ever get it to work IN Skype. I've tried Ubuntuforums as well as the official Ubuntu IRC chat, which I somehow managed to get banned from while trying to figure this out.

I've been told it could be related to pulseaudio, which a LOT of people have uninstalled it and said that it solved their problems. The thing is, I've heard of quite a few people who have issues AFTER uninstalling pulseaudio. It just makes me wonder, why bother with pulse? It offers so little yet aids in a tremendous headache. Ahh!

Any input?

I had skype running just fine, if you click on the audio button on the top bar, take a look at the devices and you should be able to change device if it's incorrect, also I would look at seeing if under the mic, the slider is all the way up.

The only trick here is I have 2 sound cards in my computer. I run my onboard sound card as well as my PCI 7.1 sound card. The reason I didn't disable my onboard card is due to Vista's lack of support for it. So I basically use 1 sound card for one OS and the other for the other OS.

In Ubuntu, I have my PCI sound card selected. The microphone slider is the whole way up. It is not muted.

Do you see why I'm so confused now? Also, the mute function on my actual microphone/headset is set to "off" and I just got tested for color blindness last month, so I'm pretty darn sure I have the mic plugged into the pink port and not the orange one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom