Another One of those: Which Linux Distro should I get

Status
Not open for further replies.

regnak

In Runtime
Yes yes, I know it's another one of those Which Distro should I get. I have free time this summer and am interested in learning Linux. I will probably be stealing my Moms old laptop (Some crappy Celeron and like 64 or 128mb of RAM and then I'm pretty sure it also has an integrated video card). I'm not going to be doing anything special on the computer besides just trying to get a grasp for Linux.

I'm wondering which distro should I download that is friendly to new users and will actually teach me something about it. A friend has recommended Slackware but I thought I might ask around first.

Also, does Slackware (or what ever form you propose I get) have a formatting option or do I need to reformat the harddrive first before I go to install (It's currently running 98 with a bunch of stuff on there that I need to get rid of).

there is a linux recommendation thread, and yes, they should all have a format utility.

O.K Regnak,

How big is the HDD on this Laptop? If you have 350MB I reccomend Ubuntu otherwise try Beatrix or Another option is DSL maybe.

Jake

jakec said:
O.K Regnak,

How big is the HDD on this Laptop? If you have 350MB I reccomend Ubuntu otherwise try Beatrix or Free BSD, Another option is DSL maybe.

Jake

freeBSD on a laptop would be a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom