All Linux Users, Important Boycott Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I don't know if you know what you're talking about, but you sure can't come in here and pretend to know what I'm thinking. This IS about networking cards that don't work and they don't work because the company that makes then has a contract with Microsoft- I'm pretty sure that part of the deal is that they can't make Linux drivers for their products, otherwise they wouldn't have ignored me. If you're trying to stop me from boycotting, it's not going to work. And there's really no reson for you to do so. I have not flamed or insulted you in any way, and the only thing that I have said even REMOTELY close to insulting has been strictly to defent myself against personal attacks. You have nothing to lost from this boycott, so why do you care anyways? If you think it's going to fail, then just let it fail. There is no need for you to attack my cause or to attack me personally. One more thing, if I may quote the forum rules:
1.Please respect all members, new and old, and their opinions and beliefs.

The chipset on my Linksys wireless card isn't supported by Linux either. It's a major source of annoyance as i bought the card for an XP machine and ended up wanting to use it in Linux. I figured I'd just pop it in the other machine and presto chango, it works. Guess not. I have to PAY for a driver to make it work, and that defeats the whole purpose of open source in my eyes. It's just complete bullshit.

Oh and about issue of understanding how to use your network card properly, its not incorrect knowledge of the card, its about one of the only companies that has a few products that ARE NOT SUPPORTED in Linux. Alot of there stuff is, so why not this newer stuff? Seems like a major screwjob from Linksys to me.

look, no matter how much we all try, Linux products will never win over Microsoft products and that's that. now, Linux users can deal with what they got and try to improve Linux themselves which is the whole idea behind open-source; everybody contributing. or, they can use Microsoft products and have no problems. unless we're looking at a worldwide renaissance, Microsoft will be up there for a while. remember, that a lot of people are brain-washed and don't look in other directions and because Microsoft seems like the easy way(along with the fact that has bought anything) with its fancy GUI's and media-oriented OS's(of course, people like colors, sounds, bells & whistles), and Linux is more of a command-line, core-based OS(with needs of more than the average knowledge about computers), obviously people will prefer Microsoft. that doesn't make it right, it's reality. we can boycott all we want, but struggling all the time and wasting time and money to put out a business only for Microsoft to buy another one, is pointless.
bottom line, if you really want to use Linux, deal with the issues.
otherwise, Microsoft is waiting, ready to eat you up, another number on its accounting papers. it's really more of a personal issue.

P.S. I'm both a Linux (Red Hat 9) and Microsoft (Windows 2000) user and I enjoy both. Each does what i need it to do and that's good enough for me.

I agree with some of what you just said, other things either our views differ or we misunderstand each other. Firstly: about Linux being a command-line type system for more advanced users, that may be true in some cases, but there are also Linux dirtibutions made for the complete beginner. Personally, I have not tried any of these out yet, but out of the half dozen or so "beginner linux" distributions I've seen, at least one of them has got to be decent. And as for using Microsoft (or other) products and just having them work perfectly, one of the problems is they don't work perfectly in Linux, due to the simple fact that Linux drivers for these products are non-existent. And one more thing: the idea behind this boycott is not to drive Microsoft out of business and estavlish Linux as the supreme ruler of the universe. The idea is to make a point, no matter how few people hear it. If I convince just one more person to use Linux, I can feel that I've made a difference in the world :D

Personally I like linksys
it would be more prdouctive to get linksys to begin support of Linux if we can prove to linksys that supporting linux/varients would be worth while and profitable theymay begin support of linux

T1junkie said:
Personally I like linksys
it would be more prdouctive to get linksys to begin support of Linux if we can prove to linksys that supporting linux/varients would be worth while and profitable theymay begin support of linux

Yes, it would be more productive, but it is less possible. Remember what I said before- I was repeatedly ignored by their tech support when asking about Linux drivers. And another thing is that their parent company, Cisco Systems, has a "Strategic Alliance" with Microsoft (hint hint). If you want to convince them to support Linux, go right ahead, and I wish you good luck. I'm done trying with them, I don't think it's possible by any means, but if you can get another company on our side, so much the better.

Then why don't you just boycott M$...

also>
Has anybody thought of writing Linux Drivers for Linksys Hardware??

Personally, I do not buy MS products unless it is absolutely necessary for my work. Plus I think I said that I was planning to expand the boycott in a bit. If I didn't say that, I am planning to expand the boycott in a bit. As for the drivers, go ahead, if you can find time, write drivers, and e-mail me when u got what I need :D Personally I'm extremely busy, I'm in charge of lights for the school musical, which we are currently setting up for, and sound for my church, which is moving to a new building so it is now more than a Sunday morning thing. The only was I had time to post today is that something extremely weird and hilarious happened at school today, so we got most of the day off (I'm too tired to go into details abt it now).

PS- check out the new quote in my sig :D

I have been Planing on switching to Linux, if I can do so sucessfully I will support a boycott against M$

cus it would be hypocritical to Boycott M$ from win XP...

if I knew ANYTHING about the Linux I/O system and the functionality of Linksys hardware I would write them...

T1junkie said:
I have been Planing on switching to Linux, if I can do so sucessfully I will support a boycott against M$

cus it would be hypocritical to Boycott M$ from win XP...

Sweet. What distro? And I don't think it would be entirely hypocrytical to boycott Micro$oft and still use Win XP, depending. If I ever get enough $$ to replace my networking card with something with Linux drivers, I would use Linux 90%-99% of the time I spend on my comp, but my problem is, once in a while when I have time (which i don't have much of anymore), I like to play games (more recent ones) that, unfortunately, do not run under Linux :( If they did, I would never use win ever again, but, unfortunately it is not possible. The one thing I would do, tho, is never dish out any more money to micro$oft and just be content with the version od windows i have. They arent getting any more money off me just for me using windows, so they will never get any more money off me (If I have enough to buy an upgrade to windows when it comes out, I would just be able to spend a lot less just on the card, and use the rest for other hardware or some other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom