acessing windows drives from linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charbo

In Runtime
which distros allow acess to windows drives in linux? i know suse does but are there any others?

EDIT: I reread your post and nvm.

If you want something easy, go with PcLinuxOS. I think it mounts NTFS no prob, as it is based on Mandriva I think. http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/

I personaly like Debian, but it has a little bit more of a learning curve. I will check if this can mount ntfs partitions easily.

Most distros will now allow you to read an NTFS partition, but writing to it is still "experimental" and is NOT recommended.

You can almost access a windows partition with NTFS file system by using this command if you have the NTFS partition on partition 3 (an example) and this is the first HDD:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda3 /mnt/windows

The directory /mnt/windows have to exist and the third partition also have to exist, but this was just an example though.

Almost all new distros do ntfs, but it is still experimental
so you should really stick to your good old fat32, or convert your filesystem back to fat32.
Unless you wanna access it read-only :p

fat32 is supposed to be and i think can only be used on smaller drives all but 1 of my drives is over 120 gig but ya i just wanted to be read only anyway but i have a server with linux on it now so it doesnt matter cause all the space is for linux only and i can access windows stuff over network. thanks for all the help guys:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom