Accessing Linux box from Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgmeister

Baseband Member
I have acquired a cheap celeron 1.7, and im going to install ubuntu on it as a little Bittorrent box, however, i want to be able to access this over the network, on which are all xp pro. How do i do this, i believe it has someting to do with samba, but am unsure what i need to do, if someone could send me a configuered samba file, my email is Borgmeister@gmail.com. I was also wondering if i could do a remote desktop type thing, since this box will have no screen keyboard mouse etc. The distro i will be running is Ubuntu 4.10 'Warty-warthog', although this will become Hoary when released. I chose linux, since thing wont be rebooted if possible :)

ftp, telnet,ssh or samba, you will need telnet or ssh to run apps remotely, samba or ftp can be used to move the files, winblows XP does not allow for exporting an X session from the linux box to windows or vice a versa

why ubuntu?

samba comes with a highly commented generic configuartion file by default, its easily edited to suit your needs

SSH is excellent, but if you want a graphical environment to be avaliable remotely, you'll have to do something more . I am unfortunaly not quite sure what that something is, but VNC might do it. Actually, on second thought, SSH does have something called X-11 forwarding, but I have no idea how to set that up.
If you do get that working though, use the box to surf the net and say goodbye to spyware and viri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom