5 Things Linux does better than Windows - Page 10 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Linux and Open Source
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #91 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
hikaricloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,220
Default Re: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Which isn't always the case.
__________________

__________________
R.I.P. Ronald C. "Bucky" Buck
3/13/1949 - 11/30/2010
Poizen22 - in all honesty id prefetr my pics get passed around then send perform some homo erotic sexual deed.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
hikaricloud is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #92 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: /home/jason
Posts: 3,056
Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Re: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by swibit View Post
I think that you have to reach a certain level on windows to be classed above average.
If you say to someone who doesnt know much about linux.. they think your good at tech cause your using an operating system they've knew heard of.
Windows has a lot of great features with it, but there IS a reason I dual boot - because as somebody who works in the technology department, there are programs, tools, utilities, and certain abilities I can do in Linux that Windows cannot. However, even being the Linux fanboy I am, I stay in Windows UNTIL I "need" Linux. Then I simply reboot.

No matter how you slice it, all operating systems have pros and cons, and each one has certain departments that they excel in more than others.

If a single operating system "sucked," it wouldn't exist. But many of them do. All for good reason. Choose wisely.

And for the record, majority of the time I do agree that a Linux user will be a more savy tech person. HOWEVER - I do know quite a few "average" users who swear by Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc. So don't think just because someone is using Linux that they are some kind of technology prodigy. There are basic and advanced users on all platforms.
__________________

Jayce is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #93 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by swibit View Post
I think that you have to reach a certain level on windows to be classed above average.
If you say to someone who doesnt know much about linux.. they think your good at tech cause your using an operating system they've knew heard of.
But that doesn't automatically make every linux user a computer pro. Many people first go to linux because they are willing to learn and they were encouraged to do so. They have to learn everything as they go. In fact I know many linux users who I don't consider very knowledgeable. They use linux because they think it makes them 1337 and that they are now hackers or something.

An old adage states that it is not the weapon that makes the man, but the man that makes the weapon.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #94 (permalink)

Triforcer
 
Baez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,987
Default Re: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
An old adage states that it is not the weapon that makes the man, but the man that makes the weapon.
A new adage I just made up states: No matter how good the guy with the sword is, the average tank driver will win.
__________________


Baez is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #95 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
A new adage I just made up states: No matter how good the guy with the sword is, the average tank driver will win.
lol, but i never mentioned a sword.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #96 (permalink)

Triforcer
 
Baez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,987
Default Re: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

lol I know man I'm just poking fun.
__________________


Baez is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #97 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
lol I know man I'm just poking fun.
gotcha.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Windows Release Cycles KSoD Microsoft Windows and Software 9 03-18-2009 06:32 PM
Linux kernel -vs- Windows kernel oldskool Linux and Open Source 2 02-17-2009 05:45 PM
Ghacks Linux Article Compilation December 2008 Osiris Linux Tips and Tricks 0 01-02-2009 09:26 PM
Adobe brings AIR to Linux Osiris Linux Tips and Tricks 0 12-19-2008 12:04 AM
The many versions of XP EricB Microsoft Windows and Software 6 10-26-2008 02:54 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.