5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Source: 5 Things Linux does better than Windows

We've started the debate. We've discussed 5 Reasons you should switch to Linux right now, and 5 Good reasons to switch to Linux. Now it's time to up the ante and discuss some of the things Linux does better than Windows.
Some of you may scoff and say “There is nothing Linux does better than Windows.” To that I would say you might want to reconsider that opinion. We all know (or at least I hope we know) that every operating system has its strengths and weaknesses. Many of you may have never really considered the strengths of Linux. Well, it's time you did, and I am going to help you with that process.

I have been using linux now for two years. I am using Debian now and I love it but I always have to remember why I chose to use linux becuase some times it is not easy.

I have been using linux now for two years. I am using Debian now and I love it but I always have to remember why I chose to use linux becuase some times it is not easy.

I tried Debian too and even though I liked the structure of Debian, I just wasn't too keen on it. Yet somehow with Ubuntu, based on Debian, I felt right at home.

Ultimately you just need to find your nitch, with what OS feels best to you. I went with Ubuntu because of how easy it was to use, however, it also has enough advanced high end features to keep me occupied. After all, it does have a terminal and it is Linux. So it offers enough for me to be dangerous, while offering a GUI interface that's actually easier to use than rival distributions.

Their reasons are very subjective. I would actually argue that windows has a better package management system and has a better gui. Linux has a lot of shiny effects but the GUI is worthless for any system changes. It's all command line based, and in that aspect windows is far superior. As for evolution, Linux is in a perpetual beta stage so their claim is misleading.

You make some good points and to that end, I agree with you, but regarding the beta thing, I will take the constant beta releases over the SP1, SP2, SP3, hotfix after hotfix, oops there goes another massive virus in-the-wild , Super "Patch Tuesday" crap any day.

I mean, don't get me wrong - I think it's great that Microsoft does regular patches and updates, except that if there weren't so many holes that are exploited to begin with ....

As for hype, well "they" all do it ; Apple, M$, the major Linux distros, all taut that they are the best, so there is always going to be hype. I think that the hype surrounding Linux is that it is a strong system. Not perfect, but a good system. It is even able to recover Windows items when Windows can't otherwise be recovered. It (Linux) has weaknesses, but I will take that with the rest, thank you.

I've used Linux for a while (Ubuntu 7.04-9.04 BETA) and it was really cool at first but after a while I just couldn't stand it. I'm a windows guy I've used windows for all my life and I'm used to it. What I can't stand about Linux is how I can't run windows programs on it and most of software used today is for windows. Ubuntu may be very secure but IMO windows doesn't have all that bad security, if you don't do stupid stuff. All my years of using windows I have never had a bad virus at all; the worst was some spy ware that would mess with links.

Are you sure you can't run Windows on Linux, have you tried something like a virtualization program such as Virtual Box ? That should work for ya, unless you have tried that already.

Check out this page for guest OS listings that can be run within Virual Box : Guest_OSes - VirtualBox

If you think that good security is to have to run antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware and other ****, yes windows is very secure. I never had any problems with virus, spyware, rootkits, etc in linux.

zmatt I've installed the latest ubuntu release and I haven't to run any command on the terminal to configure my system. My wireless and graphics cards, webcam, printer, they all work out of the box. Didn't had to install one single driver.

And like oldskool said, in windows you still have updates, service packs and all that crap. So in your line of thought there isn't a windows that isn't in beta stage. Everytime a flaw is detected in linux a correction is released as soon as possible, sometimes in the same day. In windows you'll have that correction on the first tuesday of the month, if the flaw is discovered on the first on the first wednesday you'll have to wait a month to get the correction, that's good security right? It's nice to pay for a OS that doesn't give a crap to security.
I agree that sometimes you have to use the command line to get somethings done. But things are improving. For example, in ubuntu 7.04 you had to use the command line to configure your 3G network, since ubuntu 8.04, released an year ago, you can do it in the GUI and if your card was automatically detected you don't even have to install one single driver. Just like windows right? You have to install the driver and a third party application to get your 3G network running. Yes, some hardware doesn't work very well, but don't blame linux, blame the hardware vendors instead because they don't release the drivers.

About windows applications, you can run a lot of them with wine, crossworks or cedega and you can find a linux equivalent for almost every windows application. If you're talking about games, yes you can't run them as good as in windows, if you can run them at all. But there are some games for linux like quake and it runs as good as in windows.

Well, you should use what serves you best. Since I don't game, and I don't use any specific application for windows and don't see the need to pay for a OS if I can use a free one that fits my needs and it's more secure.

I've used Linux for a while (Ubuntu 7.04-9.04 BETA) and it was really cool at first but after a while I just couldn't stand it. I'm a windows guy I've used windows for all my life and I'm used to it. What I can't stand about Linux is how I can't run windows programs on it and most of software used today is for windows. Ubuntu may be very secure but IMO windows doesn't have all that bad security, if you don't do stupid stuff. All my years of using windows I have never had a bad virus at all; the worst was some spy ware that would mess with links.

I got started on Ubuntu because I forgot to buy an operating system when I built my first custom computer. Just wanting something to get online and check email and get on aim with for the time being, I got Ubuntu. I used to think the same thing, in regards to how my "comfort zone" was with my Windows software that I was always using. I felt like Ubuntu was a completely dumbed down halfassed way to manage an operating system.

Then as time went on, I realized just how much software Ubuntu had to offer. After 4 years of staying strong with Ubuntu, I can't think of a program that I use that I would rather use the Windows counterpart of it. Every single program where an equal competitor exists on Windows, I find myself choosing the Linux side of it.

Quick example -

Nero vs K3B.

Nero is very nice. It does the job. In Windows, this is the burning software I use. But it also costs money and doesn't have all of the features K3B has. With K3B, you get more, for nothing.

I definitely see why some people stick with Microsoft and I respect their existence in the market. But with me... If I had to stick with Microsoft and nothing else, I don't think I'd be in the IT field. It'd be rather... boring.

Farinha - I hear ya. I will always be a Windows user though to some degree. A - I'm a bit of a gamer, and B - It's just the nature of my job. At work I utilize Linux tools to help my job be easier, but ultimately the computers I work on are 95% Windows.

Cedgea cost money and doesn't work all the time. Wine doesn't work that well either.

Windows isn't in a beta stage all the time. If you look at Major Ubuntu relewaes (or any distro for that matter) you will find some form of beta software in it, you will also find that a lot fo stuff is a work in progress. When windows comes out it always has its full functionality. It might have some security and stability issues, but it has a ncie polished and complete feel. Linux always feels like its being worked on. It's never done in that sense. Always cobbled together and jury-rigged.

As for the drivers, you sir are a luck many. I have never had a Linux install work with the wifi on the first go. It takes an average of 3 hours of work to get the wifi up. Windows 7 will install wifi drivers automatically no fuss.

Linux isn't as secure as you guys think either. Ask any server or IT guy. Linux like OSX and Unix has security through obscurity. There are plently of exploits for linux machines. How many of them are being actively sued is another question. It is very possible that many linux users have a virus or trojan and don't know it because they assume they can't get it.

Windows with a good router firewall and up-to-date and competent security programs is about as secure as you can get. It's also more stable. Windows Vista and up sandboxes the drivers and APIs, so an error or exception that would crash Linux only require a service restart in Vista. Can Linux survive a video driver crash without a kernel panic? Nope, I've seen it happen. Vista will.

I really don't hate Linux. I think its a great project. But before I use it every day or recommend it to laymen I need some major changes made in the usability department.

If you want a good *nix OS try FreeBSD. Those guys get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom