5 Things Linux does better than Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misreading your point? I got your point. That's why I mentioned the driver issue. I was building on top of what you already said, man. It works for/against both Windows and Linux. The driver vendors are ultimately to blame for lack of hardware support. I'm not blaming Vista for my Turtle Beach card not working in Vista 64 bit, but I'm also not blaming Linux for not supporting a certain Broadcom wifi card that you had issues with. ;)

Ironically enough, you know how I mentioned the other night I installed Ubuntu on 3 computers, 2 were laptops and only 1 I had to activate the wireless card? You guessed it. Broadcom. I never said the wifi was perfect in Linux, in fact wifi is the one area that Linux has had to play a tremendous game of catch-up on. But despite them not being 100%, they have come a tremendous way.

Kernels - Suggest I stop there? I'm not 9 years old here, brother. But let's talk about kernels briefly, despite your "just don't bother" card you tried to play. There's a reason multiple kernels exist, which only expands on hardware support and functionality. To this date I have yet to put a secondary kernel to use. The most recent kernel has always been a home run for me. But there are differences between kernels that may enable some users to work while causing conflicts for others. This may not be completely on the dead-center topic, but it's still an example. I use FOG - open source imaging that's built on top of either Fedora or Ubuntu. FOG uses kernels to load the modules for computers to be imaged. There is 1 computer that is known to be problematic, with FOG, Ghost, and other open source + proprietary imaging solutions. But, FOG has multiple kernels... and there are 2 kernels noted as working with this computer whereas the main kernel does not. That is the only instance where I've had to use a secondary kernel to get things working, and even at that knowing it's problematic with other platforms makes you think there's something very strange about that particular computer.

And about your netbook argument, you have to understand that a large part of the reason behind the Windows switch to netbooks is due to the customers themselves. The linux netbooks did not do bad. In fact, they did quite well - in terms of functioning. But the thing is, there's a lot of people who simply crap their pants if they don't have their start button. Linux is not Windows. Linux is a different world. There's a lot of people who simply don't have the patience to acknowledge that another platform exists. For example, did you hear about that girl who bought an Ubuntu Dell laptop and couldn't figure out why her DSL CD didn't work in it? It clearly said on the screen that Ubuntu that there was a problem launching the .exe - because an .exe is Windows only. Right there is an example of why Windows controls as much as they do - because people are FAMILIAR with it. It's their comfort zone. Windows has left such a substantial footprint in the industry that most people just stick to what they know. Using that and stretching it to "well that just means Windows works better" isn't a valid argument. Sure, maybe Windows does do something better for certain users than Linux could - but to broaden that to the general consensus of "that's why they're using Windows now!" is a severe stretch.

And I would hardly say that Ubuntu has poor desktop support. Look at how much they support. Linux supports more hardware out of box than Windows - yes, it's true. You may not have had that exact experience, and I'm not saying everybody will, but I remember reading from a few different sources that Linux does indeed support more hardware by nature than Windows does. Of course you can add drivers to both Linux and Windows too, so I'm not sure where the argument would end up beyond that, but since you seem to stress Windows "ease of use" with supporting stuff out of the box, I just had to make that known.

There are countless other things that we can argue both for/against Windows and for/against Linux. But Linux has gained a tremendous amount of community and commercial support in a short time. I can't imagine it slowing down by any means for quite a while. I think ultimately, considering there are paid-support alternatives for Ubuntu machines, that some places may be starting to convert knowing that they still have that 1-800 number to call if something hits the fan.

A college recently migrated all Windows machines to Ubuntu near me in Pennsylvania. How do I know this? My buddy's uncle is one of the Ubuntu instructors there. That's not saying Windows will die. My gosh Windows is an empire that'll live for a dozen more centuries. But nonetheless, to ignore Linux's accomplishments is just naive.

Vista is not 3 years old. It was released in Jan of 2007. It is only May of 2009. That doesnt even make it 2 years old. So clear that up.

Also to compare vista which hasnt even been out 2 years to XP which has been out 8 is not fair. In XP's first 2 years it was regarded very much like Vista is now. It wasnt until year 3 or 4 when SP2 was released that XP started to be very well respected. XP had jsut as rough a start as Vista did. It took Microsoft 4 years to fix it and get it operating correctly.

This is getting old and boring. How many times do we have to go over this while Windows/Linux/Apple junk? How many times must we sit here and try to defend our opinion to people who just will NEVER see it the same way?

Jayce you like Linux. I like Windows. Will you ever understand my POV? No. Will i ever understand yours? No. Cause we havent been in each other shoes long enough.

If people dont like Windows DONT USE IT. Not a single person in this world said you have to use it. Not a single person in this world is forcing you to use it. Simple really.

Everyone just needs to stop taking pot shots at the other OS's out there. Cause it does nothing and gets us no where. From the first post to this post has there been any real good information provided? Has there been any opinions swayed?

No.

It is just people taking shots at one OS or another to try and show why 1 is superior or inferior than the other. Yeah i am guilty of it to. But this is where i stop. I am sick of seeing these stupid things come up. cause you know what? It will be done yet again in 6 or 8 months after Win7 is released and everyone has a field day comparing Win7 to Linux and OS X.

they are not the same, they will never be the same, they do not act the same, the never will act the same, they dont operate the same and they never will operate the same. So why continue a pointless debate over which one is superior? Cause not a single one is. They ALL have flaws. Every single one of them.

to compare vista which hasnt even been out 2 years to XP which has been out 8 is not fair.

I just expect something to work properly if I pay for it. That's all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right now I want to murder Windows because of this ongoing Add/Remove Programs conflict... this is one spot where Vista might be better due to it's infamous WINSXS folder. All these dang conflicts regarding who knows what... of course Linux and OSX would be better at preventing conflicts anyways because of the way apps are compiled. No freaking shared library. That's a joke. Windows has library conflicts! How do we fix it??? Make the library 10 times bigger with the next release! Then someone grew a brain and said "Why don't we just make applications contain their own library like Linux does? So they invented ThinApp - which repackages an application into a single executable file. No external DLL's. No shared library. Nothing. And guess what? No conflicts.

But ThinApp costs $5,000 - whereas Linux and OSX do practically the same thing natively.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not adding fuel to the fire, I'm just griping about this one problem which makes me want to go home and get wasted. Friggin DLLs....

It does work properly. XP works, Vista works, even Win7 works. they all work properly. It is when people try to force it to do something or modify it to do something that it is not supposed to do.

In my 15+ years of using windows the only time i have EVER had issues when it was something I did. Not something the OS did.

Windows does work. If you dont think it does, dont use it. Windows Vista gives you 120 days to use it without activating the serial. There is no reason you could not have turned around and sold it. Without ever activating it.

It DOES work. I am on a Beta OS right now and it is jsut as stable as a OS that has been out for 8 years, running ALL of the same apps. Not a SINGLE problem.

Just want to point out that this is the same irrational thoughtless rabble that everyone says about their preferential OS.

It is also in complete contradiction to what you said earlier.

They ALL have flaws. Every single one of them.

Followed by

Not a SINGLE problem.

Sounds kind of like a fundie - "all your religions are bad, except mine!". I just illustrated a primary flaw in the philosophy of windows - shared libraries. They compensated for it more after XP, yes, but they failed to actually address the problem. No one in their right mind should use shared libraries. You know what we did when I was in programming? We compiled everything our applications needed into 1 executable. That way they could run on any Windows environment without installation, or conflicts.

OSX - poor choice for technical things - not as many tools as windows and linux. great for basic users who don't want to know anything about how a computer works.

Windows - standard, generic. most tools, most flexibility, most holes, most flaws. requires moderate knowledge of computers to maintain a healthy windows system

linux - highly efficient FREE, though obscure. probably has the least amount of applications readily available (though I can't be certain of that) - Linux is also the only Open Source OS of the Big 3 which means that it going to have the fastest community support for a distro. The biggest downside is drivers and other devices - no corporate support at all. Also, there's a flavor of Linux for any need you could possibly have.

Just want to point out that this is the same irrational thoughtless rabble that everyone says about their preferential OS.

It is also in complete contradiction to what you said earlier.

Followed by

Sounds kind of like a fundie - "all your religions are bad, except mine!". I just illustrated a primary flaw in the philosophy of windows - shared libraries. They compensated for it more after XP, yes, but they failed to actually address the problem. No one in their right mind should use shared libraries. You know what we did when I was in programming? We compiled everything our applications needed into 1 executable. That way they could run on any Windows environment without installation, or conflicts.

OSX - poor choice for technical things - not as many tools as windows and linux. great for basic users who don't want to know anything about how a computer works.

Windows - standard, generic. most tools, most flexibility, most holes, most flaws. requires moderate knowledge of computers to maintain a healthy windows system

linux - highly efficient FREE, though obscure. probably has the least amount of applications readily available (though I can't be certain of that) - Linux is also the only Open Source OS of the Big 3 which means that it going to have the fastest community support for a distro. The biggest downside is drivers and other devices - no corporate support at all. Also, there's a flavor of Linux for any need you could possibly have.

That's not very fair. What he was saying was that Windows 7 works as well as Vista. Sure windows has flaws, but that doesn't mean that it can't work without issues. Some flaws don't involve instability or incompatibility.

Vista is not 3 years old. It was released in Jan of 2007. It is only May of 2009. That doesnt even make it 2 years old. So clear that up.

I wasn't too positive on its exact release but I had just assumed it was aging around 3 years. My mistake.

Also to compare vista which hasnt even been out 2 years to XP which has been out 8 is not fair. In XP's first 2 years it was regarded very much like Vista is now. It wasnt until year 3 or 4 when SP2 was released that XP started to be very well respected. XP had jsut as rough a start as Vista did.

Right. But the thing is, when XP was having its rough start at age of 2 years old, there was no "light at the end of the tunnel." That's why people tolerated it. Then when service packs came out and it finally started to work half decently, suddenly XP was praised due to the extensive work Microsoft did in ironing out the bugs. But now that Vista is finally starting to work half decently (much like XP did at this point in its life cycle), Windows 7 is being talked about and rumored to be working better than Vista. That's why so many businesses, including the school district I work for, has refrained from moving to Vista and decided to skip it and wait for Windows 7.

After all, why upgrade to Vista when XP works?
Not only that, why upgrade to Vista when Windows 7 will be out soon enough anyway?

It took Microsoft 4 years to fix it and get it operating correctly.

Quoted for truth.

Jayce you like Linux. I like Windows. Will you ever understand my POV? No. Will i ever understand yours? No. Cause we havent been in each other shoes long enough.

I understand where you are coming from, but you also have to consider I have 4 years of Linux experience. My experience in Windows is easily doubled that. I'm a young guy, but I was tinkering with Windows 95 while my buddy's were still playing cops and robbers with dollar general nerf guns in the back yard. So I do understand your point of view with Windows and why you stick with it. After all, if it aint broke, why fix it? If it does the job, why change? But there are other reasons that I keep hounding my opinion of Linux. I can't tell you how much the usage of Linux and other open source utilities have helped my job. If people would open their minds and be open minded towards the positive usage of other platforms I think a lot of people would be amazed at what technology can offer. I mean, let's throw this into perspective. There's an open source counterpart software that we're implementing in the district who's proprietary rival is 50,000 dollars. The only curve ball is, this open source counterpart software must run on an Ubuntu server. You spend some time setting it up, you learn something new, and you save a boatload of cash. Sometimes other alternatives can not only help you learn something, but also save you a truckload of money too. It's cool learning what each platform can do and what their benefits are, which is why I try to stay open minded and why I still use Mac/Windows/Linux (as much as I may not like Mac) and I don't just stick solely to one of them 24/7.

If people dont like Windows DONT USE IT. Not a single person in this world said you have to use it. Not a single person in this world is forcing you to use it. Simple really.

Agreed.

Everyone just needs to stop taking pot shots at the other OS's out there. Cause it does nothing and gets us no where. From the first post to this post has there been any real good information provided? Has there been any opinions swayed?

No.

It is just people taking shots at one OS or another to try and show why 1 is superior or inferior than the other. Yeah i am guilty of it to. But this is where i stop. I am sick of seeing these stupid things come up. cause you know what? It will be done yet again in 6 or 8 months after Win7 is released and everyone has a field day comparing Win7 to Linux and OS X.

they are not the same, they will never be the same, they do not act the same, the never will act the same, they dont operate the same and they never will operate the same. So why continue a pointless debate over which one is superior? Cause not a single one is. They ALL have flaws. Every single one of them.

The only reason I continually argued my point in this thread is there seemed to be a couple instances of people dogging Linux when, in my opinion, there seemed to be more to the story. Often times when people say negative things about Linux, I'm finding that it seems a lack of understanding rather than an actual "problem." For example, that girl who got a Dell Ubuntu laptop and tried to run her Verizon DSL setup CD in it. She didn't understand that Ubuntu was not Windows, but as a result she went to the media and complained. It was a lack of understanding on her part and 100% not Ubuntu's fault. It was not Ubuntu's fault that it didn't run that .exe setup file that came on that CD. Yet she took the deliberate stab at Ubuntu anyway. And THAT'S what ****es me off about people who dog Linux when they don't have a clue about it in the first place.

If you have a decent understanding of the platform but still have negative things to say about it, I'll respect the opinion of the user 100% more than somebody who talks badly about it when it's truly an underlying lack of understanding regarding the issue at hand. The exact same goes for Vista too. Somebody may complain Vista doesn't support hardware. Well, no, that's not entirely true. The MANUFACTURER just didn't make a driver. Then it's Creative/Turtle Beach/AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ATI's fault at that point - not Vista. I defend Vista in that department as much as I would defend Ubuntu in the same instance.

And THAT'S the point I've tried to stress. But as I've said, at the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do to get your stuff done, regardless of the platform you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom