5.1 Surround Sound (Realtek) in Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Does anyone know of any way I can set up 5.1 surround sound using a Realtek on-board soundchip? I want it to use all 6 (front l/r, back l/r, center, and subwoofer). It does this by changing the Line Out and Microphone jacks into outputs, but it doesn't work in Linux.

Also, should I get it working, is there any way to use the "Center" channel as a 2nd subwoofer channel? I'm cheap and don't have real surround sound speakers, so I want to use an old boombox for a subwoofer, but it has 2 channels.

Open the volume control thing, click preferences, tick all the boxes that have to do with surround, and then mess with it until it works. That's what I did (a long time ago, I don't have it set up anymore).

I know there's some config files to mess with somewhere if that doesn't work how you want, but I don't really know much about configuring audio stuff. I just use good ol' 2 channel. Try using Google to find out more.

Center and LFE are on the same jack, if I remember correctly. I have no idea whether or not it would work without a real sub, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom