2 year Ubuntu user here... trying to find a distro that my laptop likes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I struggled for a long time trying to get ubuntu to work flawlessly on my laptop. I can get compiz fusion to work in under 3 minutes, no less, yet I cannot get my onboard wireless to work (realtek 8187b) or my sound to work without some weird errors. I can get the sound to work, yet the output is slightly quieter than it is in Vista. On top of that, when I plug in headphones, my main speakers don't shut off.

If Ubuntu, Fedora Core 8, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, or Mandriva 2008 won't allow my sound or wireless to work, what else out there may allow for it?

Come on. Hit me with a good distro that I could try that would likely have support.

Also - Gnome only. :)

Oh yes. I love Ubuntu. I'm running Gutsy on my desktop as we speak that I'm posting from and it works flawless.

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422.

Have you tried the older version of Ubuntu? The 6.06 version with Long Term Support? I know that Gutsy Gibson isnt considered LTS and its support will run out in April 2008 when they release Heron which will be the next distro of Ubuntu with LTS.

My suggestion would be to use 6.06 and check their forums for support. If anything since it is LTS they should have some kind of response for you.

Downloading 6.06 now.

What's the deal with LTS? Is it every other version of the distro they offer that comes out as LTS or what? I mean... what happened to Feisty? What about Gutsy? No LTS? How is 6.06 any different?

LTS is just what it sounds like. Long Term Support. Which means they will support it for a longer period of time than other distros which are not labeled LTS.

Gutsy is not considered LTS. Hence why the support of it runs out before it has been out a year.

Feisty is 6.06 build.

I dont know how it is different. Check the Ubuntu forums. I have only used Gutsy.

6.06 didn't work. Exact same issues.

I'm beginning to think that linux belongs on desktops and windows belongs on laptops...

Now only if I can shave down my 3 minute boot time on the laptop with vista... ideas????

Disable all your startup apps.

As for your issue ahve you even gone to the Ubuntu Forums and asked them? They would know better off what to do. Plus by asking them maybe they can provide you with drivers or something. Since 6.06 Fiesty is their LTS right now they would probably like to know of this bug and get it fixed for Heron before it is released.

I use Gutsy on my Dell Latitude 1501 with no issues....

Using an online stop watch, I just tested my Vista startup time, beginning from after I put my password in. Yes, I disabled all startup apps. It was about 1:20 to boot. Guess that's the best I can ask for. *sigh*

Oh yes, I've asked at the forums. I had 2 threads going on which were 10+ pages each. One for wireless, one for sound, on this exact laptop. It was a major headache and we didn't really get anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom