2 hard drives..

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fast4u

Daemon Poster
i have 2 hard drives.. one for windows os and the other for ubuntu.. will this work? will i be able to boot in windows when i want and will i be able to boot into ubuntu when i want? if so, if this is a complicated process, please give me a step by step tut... thanks

Yes, this will work. I have my computer setup with one hard drive for Windows 2000 and a second hard drive for Suse.

When you install ubuntu, it will probably ask if you want to install a boot loader, ie grub or lilo. Just say yes, tell it whichever one you want to be the default, and what the timeout should be.

Doesn't get much easier. Just make sure that Windows is installed first, as it has a habit of overwriting the master boot record when it is installed.

ok soo i install ubuntu on a hdd and then install the bootloader.. and tell it which one i want to boot up.. and then wuts the timeout?

the bootloader will most likely install while you're installing ubuntu.

The timeout is how long the bootloader will sit there before accepting the default.

Example, you have WinXP as your default, you reboot the computer (from whichever OS), and then get called away right away. Computer will boot, stop at the bootloader for a preset amount of time (the timeout), and then boot into WinXP.

ok now can i make a partition on the hard drive that i install ubuntu on with the ubuntu cd? cause i only want 10 gigs for ubuntu and the rest for windows storage.. if i can't use the cd, how do i do this with outmy windows cd?

ok i have ubuntu installed.. when i installed i unplugged my othe two hdd's because when i format, they get corrupted... and after i installed, i plugged them back in.. i butted up nd it automatically booted into windows.. i said thats wierd.. so i got done booting and my other hdd is not here nad the hdd that ubuntu is not here.. i was like did i do something wrong? so wut do i do?

you have to have everything plugged in when you install ubuntu, it will over write the MBR on the primary drive so you can boot either one, just DO NOT LET ubuntu format anything but the drive your installing ubuntu on

please, go to ubuntu's website and start reading their tutorials, they have excellent documentation, before you screw something up and/or get frustrated further

what happened was ubuntu got installed but it wrote the bootloader to the drive its installed on rather than the primary drive which has windows on it, so when your PC boots all it does is boot windows ike normal

you should be able to boot it up anyway, but you will need to use the ubuntu disk, just tell it to boot up instead of an install..........how to do this varies a bit from distro to distro but a prompt should be present early in the process where you can enter the drive to boot from instead of an install--------> probably have to type something like /dev/hdb1 depending on how you have your drives set up

your probably gonna have to einstall ubuntu yet again cause you dont know what your doing

ya ur right, i dont know wut im doing.. but when i formated the hdd for windows, and i had my jump drive in, it said that when i accessed the jump drive, that it needed to be formated.. so i didn't want to do that to my windows drive...but when i get home, i will plug everything in and reinstall ubuntu... but the thing is i dont know how to install diswrapper.. i had it on my pendrive and put it on linux.. i type in the command that the instructions said but it said that the file isn't vaild or not here.. i can't get it to install and i need it for my wireless usb internet..

jump drive? what are you doing exactly? if your trying to install ubuntu onto the jumpdrive dont, use a regular harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom