Are you worried about Outsourcing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am planning to go back to school and get a degree in CS or MIS. After being in the Mortgage industry for 8 years, I am now unemployed and no one in the mortgage/real estate industry is hiring.

A buddy of mine graduated in CS (and has a job in IT) and his advise to me was to take something that is not affected by outsourcing.

Is outsourcing really a big problem? I could go into the medical field and take a 2 year course but my heart would not be in it.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Outsourcing has its benefits as well as drawbacks! There will always be a need for a "local" guy that knows what he/she does in order to "manage" the oursourced portion of services...
BTW: other industries such "healthcare" are starting to be "outsourced" ... with expensive operations/procedures being done in India and other countries with that offer "medical tourism" type environments...

Is outsourcing really a big problem?
It can be for a lot of entry level positions. Like why pay for an office and staff here when it's so much cheaper to do it in india instead.

YouTube - Foamy - Tech-support <--- funny but true

What is outsourcing? I dont get the definition
It when you get some else outside of your company to work on your behalf to do a job / task for you.

2 Reasons why you do this.
1. You don't have the skills yourself.
2. It's cheaper to get some one else to do it.

Outsourcing as we think of it, particularly in IT and customer support, is all about quantity over quality. For the bean counters at corporations, having a big room full of cheap 3rd world labor is just as good as one with native employees but at 1/10th the price. Quality and over all customer experience means nothing to them, all they understand are call volumes and length. It's not some giant in the hills type of threat, it's just entry level and manufacturing jobs that are being exported. Anything that requires hands on skill/knowledge or the slightest bit of creativity is pretty well safe. You can't run your entire operation from a call center in India or the Phillipines after all. Just the simple stuff, the after thoughts.

My job was outsourced to India and the Philippines, I was a title searcher for a local title company that closed their doors a year ago because all the work is done overseas.

Personally I think outsourcing is a bad idea, especially when they're dealing with personal non-public information like credit card accounts and social security numbers, ect.

Now I'm going back to school to get all my microsoft and cisco certs, then moving out of the state of Nevada because the only computer jobs here are programming and that's not what I want to do.

Outsourcing is the bain of the small IT guy like myself, any place that uses software like SalSoft (a accounting, Billing, schedule program from Hairdressers) all there stuff is taken care of by remote but they also like to do hardware by saying if any one touhes the hardware in a maintanace role it will void your warrinty.

Now I'm going back to school to get all my microsoft and cisco certs, then moving out of the state of Nevada because the only computer jobs here are programming and that's not what I want to do.

I would think there would TONS of work in Reno and Nevada surrounding networks and IT security.

No?

On the topic of outsourcing: If you're an IT guy, there is always someone ready in India to take your job and accept less for it.

As for the other fields, I don't think it's a matter of outsourcing, but a matter of competitiveness for the said career (here in NYC anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom