Are you worried about Outsourcing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

citronbull

Baseband Member
Hello all, I am planning to go back to school and get a degree in CS or MIS. After being in the Mortgage industry for 8 years, I am now unemployed and no one in the mortgage/real estate industry is hiring.

A buddy of mine graduated in CS (and has a job in IT) and his advise to me was to take something that is not affected by outsourcing.

Is outsourcing really a big problem? I could go into the medical field and take a 2 year course but my heart would not be in it.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Outsourcing is a posibility within the IT industry. Im currently working in the IT industry and there is always threat of the outsourcing of my job but it never really seems to happen. Even if it did I would always be able to get another job else where as IT skills are needed everywhere.

I would really not do anything that you are not intrested in like the medical field. I work in IT becuase I love it, not because it provides any job security and its this reason why it makes it easier to come to work everyday.

This is why i take government IT jobs. I worked for a school district for 3.5 years before moving to Colorado, now i do IT for the health dept. The money isnt as good as being in the private sector, but the benefits, time off and stability are great. Heck, i -just- started, and i get 2 floating holidays, all the state holidays, and 3 weeks vacation. Plus the insurance costs me 40 bucks a month, free dental, free eye insurance, free disability. And if i stick around, i can actually retire at 55 :)

This is why i take government IT jobs. I worked for a school district for 3.5 years before moving to Colorado, now i do IT for the health dept. The money isnt as good as being in the private sector, but the benefits, time off and stability are great. Heck, i -just- started, and i get 2 floating holidays, all the state holidays, and 3 weeks vacation. Plus the insurance costs me 40 bucks a month, free dental, free eye insurance, free disability. And if i stick around, i can actually retire at 55 :)

Considering you just started, those benefits are pretty good. I would keep that in mind. (govt jobs)

Ya, ive been there a year technically, i was a temp, they had to create the position. At 3 years i believe it goes up to 14hours a month of PTO. Not to mention about 50% of my day is spent reading these forums :)

Be sure you get an IT job that also involves hardware. They can't outsource a guy that has to be there on site to replace a drive or a card. They can always call a third party vendor, but that is more expensive to do along with outsourcing their tech support. Sometimes you just need a live person at the site. Get an IT job at a hospital or school. If you know your stuff you won't have any worries unless the hospital gets sold.

Really for the business people, we are not worried, but happy to take on outsourcing.

It is cheaper than IT in this country, and less payments but more money. I can't speak like I've done it before 'cause I've just worked with people who have.

I do plan on outsourcing when our business gets a bit bigger .. and I get a bit older :D

DONT DO IT TECHPRO!One thing i keep hearing is "atleast I am not talking to bombay" that is because now quite a bit of the time the understanding of english by the opperator is lacking as most of the call centers are short staffed there technical knowedge is low most of the time as they try to fill places over providing quality servace. Back when it started yea they could provide a decent servace but now they are having a hard time providing it. Not to mention the quality of the call I was on the phone to Epson the other day trying to get a part for a printer I was passed to 3 differnt opperators before I was then put on hold to a manager who did speek very good english an he had me sorted in 5 min but the total call took 45 min.

Ah I see. I guess quality of the call is the only thing people are really interested.

One of the reasons why I like Dell Support .. the only people not to outsource and have good support people.

I have rethought it .. and maybe it isn't the best thing to be greedy in place of quality :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom