Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avandaisy

Beta member
Hi, my name is David and I've been desperately trying to get my foot in the door for basically any tech job possible but haven't been able to. I tried taking some college courses but it sickened me that they start you off assuming you don't even know how to use a mouse. I eventually got bored and stopped wasting my time. Then I was confronted with the idea of getting certified. I figured it would be easy and cheap. I bought a Exam Cram book for A+ and when I was done, I was still a little nervous about spending $300 on a test I could potentially fail. Now I've set on getting certified through a computer training school. I'm starting classes this January for A+, Network+, and Security+ and hope that they will get me a fairly good paying job. After getting those 3 certifications I also looked into getting certified as an Ethical Hacker. What are your inputs on the worthiness of certifications? Am I wasting my time and money? Should I go back to college and get a degree?

avandaisy said:
Hi, my name is David and I've been desperately trying to get my foot in the door for basically any tech job possible but haven't been able to. I tried taking some college courses but it sickened me that they start you off assuming you don't even know how to use a mouse. I eventually got bored and stopped wasting my time. Then I was confronted with the idea of getting certified. I figured it would be easy and cheap. I bought a Exam Cram book for A+ and when I was done, I was still a little nervous about spending $300 on a test I could potentially fail. Now I've set on getting certified through a computer training school. I'm starting classes this January for A+, Network+, and Security+ and hope that they will get me a fairly good paying job. After getting those 3 certifications I also looked into getting certified as an Ethical Hacker. What are your inputs on the worthiness of certifications? Am I wasting my time and money? Should I go back to college and get a degree?

Yes I do believe if you like to make money you need a four year degree. Companies dont even look at you without a four year degree. Certifications are for making more money and moving up but without a degree you will not be able to use your ceritifcations. So if you want a serious job in any computer field you will need to go back to school :)

school is a joke

you learn nothing, but you get a good job, who cares

I could run circles around people with computer degrees...but I don't have a lil peice of paper that says I can....what a joke

why am I going to go spend 8000 on something I already know, and then some

snipez said:
school is a joke

you learn nothing, but you get a good job, who cares

I could run circles around people with computer degrees...but I don't have a lil peice of paper that says I can....what a joke

I dont know what "Computer Degree" you are talking about. But there sure is not a computer repair degree. :). Most of the degrees in colleges civilians dont even have the equipment to practice/learn on. For instance computer engineering, bioinformatics, CSE, etc.

I wouldn't be so nieve to think you know more then a college grad, something you have not and probally will not experience. You probally think you know a lot about a subject in computing that doesnt even matter, which is computer repair. NO ONE goes to college and gets a COMPUTER REPAIR DEGREE. There is no such thing, they cant even base ONE course on computer repair. The other subject you might know is networking, which is a very easy logical subject. But to get your foot in the door you still need a 4 year degree OF SOME KIND (not even computer related). In my perspective these really are not computing jobs, they are like the jobs that dont really take any knowledge or thinking. Anyone can read a manual on how to configure a corporate network etc.

The real computing jobs are the jobs that take peoples creativity and intuitive, to innovate or create something. For instance like computer engineering, CS, CSE, Bioinformatics and the many many more jobs that you actually have to use your brain.

Thanks a lot for the information. I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and get the A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications. After that, I'm going to take the job placement. Once I've got my new job, whether it be good or not, I'm going to sign up at UTSA and attempt a Bachelors in Business. That way, by the time I'm out of college, I would have had 4-5 years of computer-based experience already. If I just skip the certifications and go straight to college now, I'll have 5 years of maintenance and landscaping experience to put on the table. (useless) So, is what I'm planning now worth it?

awwwwww
life is all about money

and i'm naive?

hahahahahhaha

get a life and get of the beaten trail

FOLLOWER

be a leader

I'd go to college, most employers look for a 4 year (as stated above). However, I do know some Microsoft employees that haven't gone to college (but are very smart/bright because they took their own intiative to learn outside of school). I'm actually in college studying electrical engineering :p

id say unless you are an expert, and someone sees that, your chances are slim on getting a tech job now days. 10 or 20 years ago, you could get a job with out a **** thing. if you knew what you were interviewing for, then you were set. but like said above, they wont even consider you if you dont have a 4 year degree in Something. id say your plan is a good one, and it will do you good in the end. where i am going to skool, we have a co-op program that is required so that when i graduate you have a few years experience.
you got a good plan, stick with it

snipez said:

Whoa.. And where did you get this man?

As the poster below you said, I sure hope u are not thinking about "computer repair", "computer troubleshooting", "network administration", etc. etc. b/c really. That is NOT what computers are all about.

I guess it depends on the university too. But any half decent university would teach you much more than what you should already know while u are in high/grade school :)..

Most things in this world, you can learn through books. Most books that they use in university has to do with design and theory. I doubt a lot of people would actually study this stuff at home though. What was the last book you've read on Semi-conductors? Or Communication Theory, or Digital Design, Optics, etc.?

Also, when u pay money, you pay for the guidance/help of industry leaders (i.e. professors).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom