Workflow Systems for IT Management? Reviews on Outlook Tasks/OneNote?

jarriaza

Beta member
Hi everyone,

Early fall of last year I filled a new position in our medium-sized law firm based out of LI - I am the internal IT department (though some may refer to what I do as IT management). I formerly worked as a legal assistant in the firm & was promoted when I took an active role in the firms IT infrastructure upgrade project last year.
Again, my position has no predecessor and I'm not fully fluent in IT/Info systems management just yet as I'm still a full-time student in my junior year. We have an outside IT department for more involved/large scale issues - but my position was deemed necessary for a more tailored approach to IT (& to take away non-legal responsibilities from the managing partner). Basically, I was asked to hit the ground running in the brand new position.

To get to the point, I'm having a hard time implementing an effective workflow system for my role in the office. I'm getting stuff done but it's all in a rather unorganized and tardy fashion - if it wasn't for the heroism involved in being the only technologically literate person in the office, I'd be cooked. What tools does a successful IT manager use in order to effectively do his/her job functions (IE: projects, procurements, admin, while still allowing time for the dreaded 'my computer is acting up' calls and for more-than-occassional crisis situations?

Also, can anyone share their experiences with tasks/to-do lists in Outlook and OneNote from a IT managerial standpoint? Sorry for the lengthy initial post. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jen

Last edited:
Hey, not sure about IT manager tools for procurement etc.. but for tasks/ to-do list I would install a freeware(or paid) ticketing system.. this way you keep track of your tasks etc.. and look back at them when needed, I would recommend one that you can integrate your email into the system so you can send emails from the system and they will be logged and replies will be logged too. for example we use Zendesk, which has a trial version but we pay for full ft.

You could also have a look at https://www.manageengine.com/ I use this aswell. But maybe someone can recommend something better? :cool:

Last edited:
I kind of self manage and book appointments in my Outlook calendar. And I use post-it notes, and reminders on my phone... nothing very efficient though, lol...

Yeah I do use outlook aswell when I get direct emails, I have 3 folders for this.. "action" , "follow-up" & "completed" :cool:

And I use calendar aswell like CB does, I dont use post-it notes but I have a notebook. Also I have a folder in chrome called "troubleshooting" and when i troubleshoot a problem for someone, I create a subfolder and name it their name and bookmark all the websites im looking at for that particular issue so I know who the websites are linked to. :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom