Woman Is the World's First Computer Programmer

sunsara69

Solid State Member
Today, on 10th December, we celebrate the 197th birth anniversary of Ada Lovelace, often considered as the world's first computer programmer. Ada became famous not only as a daughter of romantic poet Lord Byron but also as an outstanding 19th century mathematician. Her works on analytical engine are recognized as the first algorithm intended to be processed by a machine.
Women have always played a crucial role in the computer science evolution, but unfortunately, they are considered to be not so good at programming and engineering as men. Even though the fair sex makes up a growing portion of computer and Internet users, there is still a large gender gap in the field of Computer Science
Lets find out the reasons of this “social injustice”:
• Females attach their interest in computer science to more social and people-oriented arenas, such as medicine, education and the arts.
• Computers are believed to be more boy's toys, that`s why when girls got into computer science departments they come in with less hands-on experience.
• Women are also a minority in other math and science fields. According to top research universities, computer science exams are in advanced-placement at the high school level for only 15 % of girls.
• Women don't fit the tech boy stereotype provided by Silicon Valley. This idea of the male “computer geek” that society has portrayed has been going on for decades.
• And the main reason- women have too much in common with computers. Because no one but the Creator understands their internal logic:)
But all is not lost! According to the study women's enrollment in the computer science raised from 7 percent in 1995 to 42 percent in 2000. And it is still increasing. Soon women will take a well-deserved position among the world's top computer programmers. After all, a number of notable female computer pioneers such as Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper, and Anita Borg have proven that women make great computer scientists.
But will women make great contributions to the modern technologies industry? Or successful and famous female computer programmer is just a pipe dream?

Attachments

• ladyada.jpg
    ladyada.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
Interesting article, I think women can and have made great contributions to computer science, I just wish that just because somebody is interested in computers and how they are developed that society wouldn't label them geeks, that's just a way of life for some not all, why does working with computers make you a geek where as working on cars doesn't?

I just wish that just because somebody is interested in computers and how they are developed that society wouldn't label them geeks, that's just a way of life for some not all, why does working with computers make you a geek where as working on cars doesn't?

Absolutely agree with you. But unfortunately we live in a world of stereotypes. What`s why we are to ruin old prejudices.

There is a serious lack of females in this field. Out of about 75 in my Computer Science class only 5 are girls!

wow, that is a great informational article!

I just started college courses (late in life), and am in PC Tech Support for my first years major. I am the only woman in 2 of my classes, the Computer Hardware-Maintenance class and the PC Computer Systems class.

I was a bit surprised and thought more women were in the field of PC Tech support and such. So now it has me wondering about possible problems in the future for obtaining jobs, if men are always (first choice) for hiring due to the perception of this being mostly a male dominated profession.

Anyway, I am glad I found this site. I have just gotten started in my first year and I already have so many questions.

=)

I just started college courses (late in life), and am in PC Tech Support for my first years major. I am the only woman in 2 of my classes, the Computer Hardware-Maintenance class and the PC Computer Systems class.

I was a bit surprised and thought more women were in the field of PC Tech support and such. So now it has me wondering about possible problems in the future for obtaining jobs, if men are always (first choice) for hiring due to the perception of this being mostly a male dominated profession.

Anyway, I am glad I found this site. I have just gotten started in my first year and I already have so many questions.

=)

You may actually be more apt to get a job, provided you have the skills. You will stand out more in the primarily male-dominant field.

=)

I don't think there are less women in tech because managers choose not to hire a woman over a man, I think its because society in general thinks of it as a more male "thing" to do, so less women have an interest.
it's kind of like how video games are still viewed as more of a guy thing.
do you understand what I'm saying? Its not because of sexism.
(I am sure a few women have been turned down by a sexist manager, but not a large amount)

EDIT: its been awhile since I read this, I didn't realize what I just said was in the article.
ALSO what does the article mean by this? I think this statement is rude because it's saying its a competition between men and women, and then it kind of nulls the idea that sex shouldn't matter.
"Soon women will take a well-deserved position among the world's top computer programmers."

It shouldn't matter, its classifying women as a whole, If a woman has top programming skills then she should be among the worlds top programers. This article is a tad bit biased.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom