Windows Server 2008 courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny121

Beta member
Hi guys,

This is my first post.

I currently work for Re/Max Real Estate Agency Malta part-time and handle the basic day-to-day IT problems that users come across.

I am looking to widening my knowledge of Windows Server in order to handle the more complicated scenarios.

I am also currently doing the CCNA course (almost finished) and I thought I could couple that networking course with a good understanding of how Microsoft Server works.

Does this make sense to you guys? Also, what should be my first step, should I take up a course like MCITP Server Administrator.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

do you have access to their server systems? networking systems? file servers, email server, web servers, etc. switches, routers, ISPs, and such.

if yes, then you are on the right track.

edit - the following site may help you a lot.

NetworkingProgramming.com

/edit

if you handle more issues with users windows desktop, then i suggest the msdst. follow this up with some itil training. itil teaches IT service mgmt. aka processes to keep the systems running.

HDI is a good resource for this.

HDI*|*The IT Service & Technical Support Community

If you are interested in server technologies server 2008 is a great start. I'm 3 exams into that certification path and really enjoying the material (sick i know). I'm doing the MCITP enterprise admin path. I purchased a 4 pack of MS publishing books from barnes and noble. It comes with a 120 day evaluation copy of server 2008 which you can use to test and configure.

That is probably the best option if you can't get your hands on the equipment at your work. You also have the option of getting an MS Partnership account (or MSDN i think) and that would give you access to Server 2008 R2.

Thanks for your replies guys, Office Politics as a matter of fact I have already completed MCDST. Thanks for the links too I have started watching the tutorials regarding Active Directory. :D

Lexluethar, is this the pack you are talking about?
BARNES & NOBLE | MCITP Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator: Training Kit 4-Pack: Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647 by Dan Holme, Microsoft Press | Paperback

And also, you think it's possible to just use this pack with little knowledge on Server to get a good grasp of how the system works and eventually pass the exams?

Thanks guys,
Dan

Yup, that's the one i bought a while back. I'm three exams into it. I believe that same pack comes with a 120 day eval of server 2008 (at least mine did). With that you can install it and do the labs.

I think you could pass one or two of the exams with just reading the books but i feel the 647 and 640 exams are extremely hard and will require hands on experience. I could be wrong - you may be smarter than me, but I had to have hands on experience for those. Honestly for the most part you are gonna want to get your hands dirty before actually taking the test.

At least one of the exams will also include simulations in which you will log into a VM machine and have to complete a set amount of tasks in a 'live environment'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom