Will a company consider GeekSquad experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right about the positioning requiring some IT knowledge. You can obviously help customers with questions if you know your stuff, but the management does not actually believe this. Another manager at a store I interviewed with first told me that IT skills were not necessary because they would teach you everything you needed. He said they were looking for people with the personality to be able to help customers and not worried about the tech skills. This guy also told me that he does not like to use computers any more than he has to, and he was the GS manager at some point.

Anyway, I wanted to update my situation. It was kind of hard for me to get my first IT gigs, but after the first couple initial contracts, I have been getting work. After getting my job at best buy, I called half a dozen recruiters every week looking for work. Eventually, I got a few reliable ones that actively try to help me. First, I got a one-day deployment contract. Week or two later I started on a contract helping a company that was just bought out. I have also had several interviews, which I usually get turned down for because lack of experience. But this contract has now turned into a two month trial period. After this period, they will decide on whether to keep me permanent. I am fairly confident that I will be kept on. I am also making more at this job than for the ones I interviewed for and there is alot more that I can learn here.

Just wanted to update to reassure those going through the same process. I had no IT experience a few months ago and am now getting emails from my resumes online about jobs every other week or so about something. I finished my a+ in december and am close to testing for N+. Just know your stuff, be tough-minded, determined and persistent and things will work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom