Where to start with Certs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
raross you seem hell bent over degrees todays world people are not rushing for degrees the certifications are more imporant. +30 years ago I agree degrees were the most popular but now people are independantly getting their certifications and entering the work world with no problems.

Tyler1989 said:
raross you seem hell bent over degrees todays world people are not rushing for degrees the certifications are more imporant. +30 years ago I agree degrees were the most popular but now people are independantly getting their certifications and entering the work world with no problems.

Everything you said is a contradiction. 30 years ago degrees wernt as important, as you were 1 in a hundred and fortunate to even be able to go to college. But now in todays world if you dont have a 4 year degree you wont survive or you will survive, but you will be working you're ass off the rest of you're life, barly getting by, you choose. There are tons of oppurtunities to get to college now a days, that there wasnt back then. The U.S government gives a lot of money to kids, and the interest rates are so low anyone can afford to go to a 4 year school.

I see you are only what 17? You have a lot to learn, no offense. Certifications are only good with experience, and you can only get that experience with a 4 year college degree. Unless ofcourse you call computer repair a serious job? It's a job yes, but I doubt its what you want to do the rest of you're life getting paid 7-10 dollars an hour. If you get certifications without any experience, people like to call you "paper experience." Meaning you have the certifications but no experience to back it up. These people rarly get hired, infact they are looked down upon as lowering the actual certifications value. I'm ofcourse talking about the upper level certifications, not something like A+, which is a very entry level certification that anyone could obtain at any age.

If you plan on going into IT, be prepared to get a 4 year degree even a masters degree if you want to get a really good job. As in the United states IT jobs are VERY limited, and its very cut-throat enviroment. They only hire the up-most qualified people. If you go for a job with just entry level certifications and a hs diploma, and a hundred other ppl have applied for the job, and 90 of them have 4 year degrees, and other experience, your not going to get the job. You will get a letter that says "Tough luck." (just kidding) But it is a very cut-throat enviroment atleast in the IT world. This is due to all of the outsourcing of IT jobs.

PS: I'm not trying to be mean or prove you wrong. A lot of kids think the same thing, "All I need is certifications to get into IT." This is just a myth, and I run upon hundreds of kids who think this. The reason I do believe they think they just need certifications is 30 years ago, many people just got work experience, without a degree, then got certifications and these are the people that are parenting our children today. A lot of people honestly dont know any better. But once you try to hit the IT job market with just certifications you will find out the hard way.

Some people do indeed get into IT without a 4 year degree, but they spend 10 years getting the beginners experience they need to get into IT. Rather then getting a 4 year degree and being paid triple the amount of a person that will do you're same job. Only difference is he has a piece of paper from a 4 year school. Another big aspect for getting a degree is people who dont have the degree, will not be able to move-up in the company as the guy with a 4 year degree will.

I personally am attending tech skills where I am an IT memeber which allows you to get as many certifications as you possibly can in a one year period im a month in and already have my A+ hardware currently working on my OS to fullfill my A+ Cert. I still will have the rest of the year to get my Net+, CCNP, Security+ ultimately leading into my MCSE I think its great and they have hands on labs.

First I like to say Atlanta is a reaklly good place to live. You don't have pollen allergis ? pine tree pollen is like no other in the spring. Well the way I look at it is you have to get as much knowledge as fast as possible ..that means Transcenders, they garauntee you will pass the test or your money back. Somehow they have study questions that are close to the ones at the exams...how they do it I do not know and it's legal. If you use them and get certified and get a job you have to make up for it by actually learning the stuff. I look at it as sort of a loan. You might try working for a computer store first as much as I hate to suggest Compusa ( you can work there just don't become one of them ) it's steady work, they also have repairs, where if you proved to them you know what you are doing, they might let you do some service calls, then build your resume.

lol. As I have already stated, these are not legit, and you may get a job with them, but you will make a fool of yourself in the process. If you ever get caught cheating on certifications you will lose all your certifications and will not be able to get anymore. So, its a risk not worth taking. Just learn the material, buy a book, whatever. I would really consider going back to college though, specially if you're young. Certifications are only good matched with a 4 year degree, unless you're going for entry level jobs, which you wont be promoted with just certirfications. Its a very cut throat enviroment out there, you are better off just getting the 4 year degree and finding a good job. Then working your way up from the bottom, and you may never be able to achieve the dream job as if you got your 4 year degree.

what is not lagit ? transenders ? they are lagit ?
some people do not have the money and time that you may have
plus interviewers can tell how much you really know
you do not fool anyone if you just collect a bunch of titles that look like alphabet soup. It will get you interviews though. I know a lot of people that have absolutely NO certification that could run rings around people that do and verying levels of skills on down. They all have a hard time getting interviews with out certs.

tractorboy said:
what is not lagit ? transenders ? they are lagit ?
some people do not have the money and time that you may have
plus interviewers can tell how much you really know
you do not fool anyone if you just collect a bunch of titles that look like alphabet soup. It will get you interviews though. I know a lot of people that have absolutely NO certification that could run rings around people that do and verying levels of skills on down. They all have a hard time getting interviews with out certs.

If they dont have the time and money then they shouldnt get the certification. If you get caught cheating you're done in IT, what dont you understand about that? No one ever said someone without a certification might know more then one with one. But the person with the certification is going to get the job over the person who doesnt unless he has a four year degree. Like I said before employers are going to look at a lot of things. First and formost they look if you have a 4 year degree and experience, then they will look for certifications etc.

Listen you pompus jack ass , it is not cheating any more then memorizing tables or formulas or what ever...that at the moment
you do not know what they are for. They do not GIVE you the answers. They give you practice exams that are simular , just like piolots train in flight simulators. If you do not studdy or have a clue as to what you are doing it is not going to help anyway. Besides do you really think you can teach someone the whole full
idea of networing in 3 months ? It is impossible. Someone that is deticated , that studdies, and will never stop the learning process
will give them a slight boost, and may turn out better then someone that throughs around big titles and has alphabet soup after their name. Not everybody has access to a 4 year college or their Daddy buys them a Porsche on their 16 th birthday.

tractorboy said:
Listen you pompus jack ass , it is not cheating any more then memorizing tables or formulas or what ever...that at the moment
you do not know what they are for. They do not GIVE you the answers. They give you practice exams that are simular , just like piolots train in flight simulators. If you do not studdy or have a clue as to what you are doing it is not going to help anyway. Besides do you really think you can teach someone the whole full
idea of networing in 3 months ? It is impossible. Someone that is deticated , that studdies, and will never stop the learning process
will give them a slight boost, and may turn out better then someone that throughs around big titles and has alphabet soup after their name. Not everybody has access to a 4 year college or their Daddy buys them a Porsche on their 16 th birthday.

Jackass? That is pretty harsh. No one memorizes math forumlas, you LEARN how they are used and why they are used then you prove them with induction. The cheat sheets you described is cheating, they contain the same questions that are on the exam. You memorize the question and you will not know how to apply this knowledge. For a network admin, you can easily learn all the principles to networking in 3 months. Networking is not a hard job and is relativly logical. All of the actual principles are common sense. Get a book and learn it or dont even try to get a job, pointless.

You're saying not everyone has access to a 4 year college? If you do half way decent in highschool in the United States you can go to college for basically nothing. The government funding for colleges/graduate programs are only increasing. Just because people attend college doesnt mean they are rich. Im in college right now, and im not even close to being rich.

OK Yes, may have been harsh, sorry, though not any worst then saying using Transcender is cheating. I am a big fan of college, though it is not the only answer. I do not know if you were around then, but when Reagon was presisdent, those were some of the most prosperous times this country ever saw and probably never will again, you know why ? it was the begining of the computer era, people were getting entry level computer jobs and making more then their counterparts that were college educated or would be in college for another 3-4 years, and doing it sooner. Those days have passed by and never will be back. I think , yes you are right, they do look for college, certification and experience. I have seen a floor that was filled with over flowed faxes for just one tech opening. They do not read all those faxes, they just look through for key elements. I think above it all the employers wants someone that can hit the floor running . I have gone on interviews where I sat acros a table from 3 or 4 interviewers , that just one after the other asked rapid fire questions, to see what I knew. When it came to certification , they just asked if what was on the reume was correct and asked to see my cert card from Microsoft...i guess they checked ? that was it. What can you learn in college you can not learn on your own ? I still think that the only purpose for cert is just to get the interview, after that is up to the person being interviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom