Where should I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troubl3dmind

Baseband Member
I am just now starting college and want to go into an IT career. The problem is, I'm having second thoughts about what I want to do. I haven't taken any specific computer classes other than in highschool, and i'm in a networking class right now. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what types of jobs are out there in terms of IT before I spend 3 years in college and decide it's not what I want to do?

Most people will say that something in networking is the best thing to get into since it's the only thing that can't be completely outsourced. Computer jobs in the US crashed quite a few years ago since so many jobs were sent off to India and other cheap-labor-countries. So jobs are scarce.

I would say Network Administration is a broad field of study that still has demand here in the US. Things like programming, tech support, etc... are all found much cheaper overseas than here in the US, so avoid those if possible.

So networking is the route to stay so my job doesn't get outsourced? Thanks a lot because I was starting to lean more towards programming. Maybe i'll take a coouple of programming courses just so I have a heads up.

CompTia certifications is a good place to start. A+ certifcation is always a good place to start and you will learn a lot more than you think you would in how the peripherals, I/O, system boards, and other stuff work. Good foundation and most of the time people get there A+ before there N+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom