Where do I start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Im going to be starting College soon, and I want to get into computers, but I don't know what field I want to be in. I like hardware a lot, I like hand-on stuff, but there is usually no money in it.

I took a stater Networking Class, and a C+ Progamming Class, and I hated it. The hardware aspect of the Networking was awesome, but as soon as we got into the software and programming, it just blew my mind. I have never been good at math, and programming was the same way. There would be kids in my class sitting their excitedly chatting away about how they could make their programs work better, I had trouble just getting mine to work..... I don't know if it was the teacher or what, but I stuggled in that class.

My brother in-law is head of admissions at a small community college, and said I could get A+ certified in night school in only 6 months, and I think thats what I want to do, cause then I can get a job at a local PC repair shop here in town while I go to school. But A+ Certification isn't going to get me anywhere.

Networking sounds very cool, my dad has a friend who runs all the networks for a local school district, and he just goes around and fixes peoples problems. He doesn't make much money with the district, but he also works with a private company doing the same thing, that pays as much in one day than he makes in a week with the district. But I don't know what the future of those jobs looks like, and I don't what to dive into something that I could potentially hate.

Are their any other fields I should concider? I have always thought that I would make a good Cable Repair man lol, but I don't think I want to be 40 years old saying I install cable for comcast..... that doesn't appeal to me.

You indicate several times in your post that you are interested in Hardware. Are you the type of person that must be doing something with your hands? Constantly taking things apart just to see how it works, just to only put it back together again?
I am the same type of person.

Computer hardware is a great place to start, no matter where you branch off in this convoluted industry. Start out with A+ and you will be doing yourself a favor in the not-so-distant future.

If you are interested in networking technologies as I am, youÂ’ll find this branch of the tech-world to never seem to end. There are some people that IÂ’ve met in this industry that are not prone to any other networking layer other than the lowest. They are complete experts on all types of medium.
Ask them a question about how to add a route statement to allow a mapping of a DNS server to a global address and they would just laugh at you followed by a comforting “I don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about”. However they would be more than happy to, not only tell you the best medium between 8 buildings given the distance, weather conditions, financial constraints, etc; but they would also make it happen.
Fact is, a lot of these men and woman started out as “cable repair” or the like. A simple job that pays the bills, gives to time to gain experience and indulge in reading material so that you may find your own knack.

One thing is certain. ItÂ’s almost impossible to get into an enjoyable narrow field within the realm of technology without experiencing something that you disliked.

You indicate several times in your post that you are interested in Hardware. Are you the type of person that must be doing something with your hands? Constantly taking things apart just to see how it works, just to only put it back together again?

Well it has always been hard for me to understand things without doing them. I love takeing thing apart. I like getting new stuff, and pulling out the manual and making it work myself without any help. Id much rather watch someone put something together than to have them explain it to me. Thats why math and similar subjects have always been hard.

Networking does interest me, but not the software end so much, even though thats probably the greatest part. I like the hardware and the wireing, and putting it together and making it work.

I think I may just poke my head in a few more introductory classes, while im getting my generals done. That way I can get a feel for the teachers, and the direction I want to move. I plan on moving to a University after I finish my generals, because it would be much more expensive to do everything at a university.

If your hands on, go for Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering. Dont fear the math, even if you need to get help at a help center constantly. As long as you learn it, you will have no problem.. Go for a 4 year college too. If your going to go to a 2 year college, you might as well just obtain certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom