Where do i go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hargi22

Solid State Member
2 Years ago i compleated my Foundation Degree in ICT which was marketed as the next big thing. A foundation degree is a 2 year uni course that is worth more then a HND/HNC, but is one year off been a full Bsc degree.
during the 2 years we learned lots of things but nothing much in detail, just the basic knowledge.
HTML,Dreamweaver, JavaScript, Director+Lingo, AfterEffect and Premier, VB.
this was all good but i only have a basic knowelge im these areas some im more good at then others.
When ever i apply for a job either im over looked as im not qualified enough or the employers dont know what a foundation degree is and think its a foundation year, or on the other hand (which has happened) i applyed for a job just as a IT support in a school and got told i was over qualified and still didnt get the job.
So for the past 2 Years i been working in a job not related to computers which i hate.
So how do i get out of this? what courses, languages, certification should i get to help my job prospects?
thanks in advance matt

volunteer work, internships, your own projects (for example webserver)

experience always takes precedence. a four year degree will open more doors, as well as meet new contacts, and prolly give you an internship in the feild.

You may want to contact an IT contracting agent in your area and get some work setup through them. It will be realworld experience and sometimes contracting is a great way to get into a company. The qualifications for contracting usually are more flexible as well.

It's worth a shot, at least. Sorry about your situation.

Also: do you have a portfolio of your work? Many employers want to see actual samples of your work rather than a piece of paper. If you don't have a portfolio, you should build one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom