What's out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josuem

Baseband Member
Hey ya'll, I have a couple questions for those of ya'll who are out in the computer field( I know that's a VERY broad term...).

I'm 17 and am looking to graduate next year. I have a strong interest in computers, but am not really sure what do to. I really enjoy web programming and have experience i nthat, but I don't see that as my primary job or major. I'm thinking about iether going into computer programming, or, network and internet security. Does anyone out there have any suggestions about:

1) Which to pick?(Bad question I know, but just lookin' for opinions)

2) What do I need to know or learn BEFORE college?

3) And anything else ya'll recommend either me doing or not doing.

Thanks for your time.

1) Being an avid programmer myself, I'm of course going to say go for the programming job :)
But I have heard that the internet/network security jobs are very good, because they're in high demand. The main think you want ot do is something that you enjoy. If you go after something that you don't enjoy, you'll regret it. For me, the thing is programming ;)

2) What you want to do. That's pretty much it, of course it helps to have some knowledge on the subject you're learning but that's not a prerequisit. The whole point of college is to learn.

3) You could always go for a cert, some nice programming ones are things like MCAD and MCSD, as well as the brainbench certs (Brainbench.org I believe).

Good luck

Probably the best thing you can do to get an idea of the skills you need and what the market wants is to contact people currently working in your field of choice. They have their fingers on the pulse of the industry and will always have valuable information. And you never know, they may be future job contacts.

Be warned, you will come across some rude people who won't want to deal with you. Don't get discouraged. Most decent people won't refuse a request for an informational interview (we're all subject to flattery). Sometimes a mere 5 minutes on the phone can yield valuable information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom