whats better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITZBVAN005

In Runtime
whats better to have my degree or certification when it comes to getting a job someone told me that jobs today look mainly more on if u have ur certification in the computer fields more then anything is that true?

Ste said:
Certs Prolly, however a Degree + a ton of Certs is best.

No way. If you dont have a degree in todays world its going to be extremly hard for you to get a decent job with just certifications. I mean its possible to get a low end job being paid around 7 dollars an hour and prolly in 10 years moving up to 12. If you really want to work a crappy job the rest of your life getting paid nothing. Then go for just certs. But in todays world, atleast in the U.S to be successful you will need atleast a 4 year degree.

Certifications will just help you make a bit more money. They will not actually get you any kind of job, unless its something low end like computer repair where you dont need a college education. Most all other jobs you will need a 4 year degree for.

Dont let anyone say they just have certifications and are making a lot of money. If they do indeed say this, check their age, they are most likly very old. When they grew up in their time, most people didnt have college 4 year degrees. But now every employer expects you to atleast have a 4 year degree.

Well your sig certainly suggest you have alot of certifications so you should know how vaulable they are. A cert today is probably more usefull than. I have no clue at all what you are saying if you knew that most people now are indepenantly getting their certifications. Less and less people are going to school for degrees in the field of computers. +30 years ago it was degrees all the way but the new trends suggest differentkly.

Tyler1989 said:
Well your sig certainly suggest you have alot of certifications so you should know how vaulable they are. A cert today is probably more usefull than. I have no clue at all what you are saying if you knew that most people now are indepenantly getting their certifications. Less and less people are going to school for degrees in the field of computers. +30 years ago it was degrees all the way but the new trends suggest differentkly.

Everything you said is a contradiction. 30 years ago degrees wernt as important, as you were 1 in a hundred and fortunate to even be able to go to college. But now in todays world if you dont have a 4 year degree you wont survive or you will survive, but you will be working you're ass off the rest of you're life, barly getting by, you choose. There are tons of oppurtunities to get to college now a days, that there wasnt back then. The U.S government gives a lot of money to kids, and the interest rates are so low anyone can afford to go to a 4 year school.

I see you are only what 17? You have a lot to learn, no offense. Certifications are only good with experience, and you can only get that experience with a 4 year college degree. Unless ofcourse you call computer repair a serious job? It's a job yes, but I doubt its what you want to do the rest of you're life getting paid 7-10 dollars an hour. If you get certifications without any experience, people like to call you "paper experience." Meaning you have the certifications but no experience to back it up. These people rarly get hired, infact they are looked down upon as lowering the actual certifications value. I'm ofcourse talking about the upper level certifications, not something like A+, which is a very entry level certification that anyone could obtain at any age.

If you plan on going into IT, be prepared to get a 4 year degree even a masters degree if you want to get a really good job. As in the United states IT jobs are VERY limited, and its very cut-throat enviroment. They only hire the up-most qualified people. If you go for a job with just entry level certifications and a hs diploma, and a hundred other ppl have applied for the job, and 90 of them have 4 year degrees, and other experience, your not going to get the job. You will get a letter that says "Tough luck." (just kidding) But it is a very cut-throat enviroment atleast in the IT world. This is due to all of the outsourcing of IT jobs.

PS: I'm not trying to be mean or prove you wrong. A lot of kids think the same thing, "All I need is certifications to get into IT." This is just a myth, and I run upon hundreds of kids who think this. The reason I do believe they think they just need certifications is 30 years ago, many people just got work experience, without a degree, then got certifications and these are the people that are parenting our children today. A lot of people honestly dont know any better. But once you try to hit the IT job market with just certifications you will find out the hard way.

Some people do indeed get into IT without a 4 year degree, but they spend 10 years getting the beginners experience they need to get into IT. Rather then getting a 4 year degree and being paid triple the amount of a person that will do you're same job. Only difference is he has a piece of paper from a 4 year school. Another big aspect for getting a degree is people who dont have the degree, will not be able to move-up in the company as the guy with a 4 year degree will.

There is no "field of computers." If you're talking about IT, which I believe is Networking, ISP work, Databases, then yes you do need a 4 year degree. If you're talking about PC repair, then I guess you dont need a degree. There are literly 1000's of fields that deal with computers, for instance you will never see a computer scientist, bioinformatian, or computer engineer without ATLEAST a 4 year degree. These are what I consider the "Field of computers." They are the ones that are on the cutting edge of computing.

There is a point to that 4 year college

I have to agree with raross on that although I beleive its a combination or balance of experience, certifications, and a degree. Most of us honestly dont want to go throught o agony of going to school for 4 years when it is so easy and faster to get certified.

Personally I was attending college and have recieved about 37 credits of general studies, just cause I didnt know what I really wanted to pursue. The whole time I really loved computers and my uncle had apprenticed me on fixing and building PC's. So one day I just left the college to pursue my certifications.

I joined Tech Skills to become an IT member which allows me to attain as many certification as I can possibly can in one year. I thought about that and was excited cause I had attended 3 semesters of college with nothing to show forth. 3 semesters equals about a year and a half.

I figure Im going to finish up my Certs in a year that I can possibly accomplish, set my foot in the door to an entry level IT position, and go back on getting that degree from college as a computer science major. Note that I will recieve my certifications, get some experience, and get a degree in the end all to balance out a successful IT career. GOD willing!!!

Dont get overwhelmed, set out what you want to accomplish, everyone is different and go for it, afterall we are doing what we love to do RIGHT? Peace

lleeinaz said:
I have to agree with raross on that although I beleive its a combination or balance of experience, certifications, and a degree. Most of us honestly dont want to go throught o agony of going to school for 4 years when it is so easy and faster to get certified.

Personally I was attending college and have recieved about 37 credits of general studies, just cause I didnt know what I really wanted to pursue. The whole time I really loved computers and my uncle had apprenticed me on fixing and building PC's. So one day I just left the college to pursue my certifications.

I joined Tech Skills to become an IT member which allows me to attain as many certification as I can possibly can in one year. I thought about that and was excited cause I had attended 3 semesters of college with nothing to show forth. 3 semesters equals about a year and a half.

I figure Im going to finish up my Certs in a year that I can possibly accomplish, set my foot in the door to an entry level IT position, and go back on getting that degree from college as a computer science major. Note that I will recieve my certifications, get some experience, and get a degree in the end all to balance out a successful IT career. GOD willing!!!

Dont get overwhelmed, set out what you want to accomplish, everyone is different and go for it, afterall we are doing what we love to do RIGHT? Peace

Yeah, the only thing is you're going to waste more time and money trying to get into IT then if you would just go back to college and finish your IT or CS degree. Certifications really arn't good without a degree. Most all certifications are used for moving up in a simple IT company, besides the basic entry level ones that are going to be hard to find a job unless its something simple like computer repair.

Well Im on my way to getting my certifications, so I might as well finish it, then go back and get my CS degree. Whatever path is most comfortable. But I hope this is to some help to the techie that hasnt stepped on the pavement yet, and hasnt decided what path to take. GOD Bless.

When i first started in the computer field, you went to apply in person for a computer job, no resume, they would give a logic test because there were so few people that knew pc's let alone to grade a test. They would have show you 3 sides of a block , all 3 sides had patterns, you had to tell them what the other unseen sides would be, a lot of math questions, then an interview. Now adays there are so many computer jobs not only locally , but nationally that it would make it impossible to do a face to face
with everybody. So how does an employer know if a candidate has the skills ? The employer rellies on a certification board that certifies technicians as to their qualifications. Not to make this any longer...large companies can go through admin people quite fast...the certification, in my opinion is just to get the interview , if you do not know what you are doing, you will not last long. The people that I know that know the most about pc's are self taught and have very liitle certification, experience is what will win out if an employer is considering two equally qualified candidates. College level courses are great, you actually learn something as opposed to these 3-9 month MCSE courses. It would be better to by the books and studdy on your own and take the exams. You will also need good pc skills, like repair, maint ..etc Computers are a great field to get in, just keep plugging away...there is no such thing as a bad computer job, it is an opertunity.

:eek:, lol. An employer is first going to look at all candiates who have experience with a 4 year degree, and the rest will be thrown out. Then they will look to see who has the most related experience and certifications for the job. Although a lot of people like to hire college grads right out of 4 year school because they find these people to be highly motivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom