What is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mori0276

Beta member
This might be an odd type of question, but I can't find any resources on it what-so-ever. What I'd like to know is how much I should charge the law firm I recently completed IT work for. I've put in many, many hours into it, but it is my first major project of its type and I had a learning curve. Since I was doing so much learning-on-the-go I want to charge by project worth, not by hour. This is a rough outline of the work I did:

-Backed up data on workstations (9 of them)
-Reformatted all of them and re-installed (I was able to use imaging software on a few that actually were identical models, the others were different models/hardware and required full re-installations)
-Installed and configured Windows Server 2003 with group policies to lock out a number of things per their request
-Built a data directory structure with applicable permissions per user
-Set up updating systems, virus scanning systems, and backup systems

That is pretty much the outline of what I did. There computer systems were an absolute mess before I took this on and migrated them to a server-based infrastructure. And of course there were other random things that cropped up that I had to deal with. It was a very big project, but I don't want to over-charge them due to my "learning curve". I have a number of certifications (MCSA, CCNA, Security+, Network+, and A+). So, I'm not a newbie to the knowledge, just the experience.

Any help you guys can give me on giving an estimate of what the labor is worth???

Try contacting a local company (several if you can) that does similar work and ask for a quote on the job you just described, then go from there.

you should have discussed this with them prior to taken the job. now if you charge an amount they dont want to pay its going to be a pain.

That isn't so much an issue. This is for my Dad's law firm. They WILL pay me accordingly. The issue is more that I don't want to overcharge them. I would like some opinions on what a project of this magnitude is worth. Any estimates you could provide me?

i mean heres some rough numbers that i charge and arent set in stone.

$50 a machine for back up

$100 per machine for reinstall and configure(ghost or no ghost)

depending on the depth and out long GP took and and if i set up AD, $500-600 maybe more if i felt.

i dont know what your data directory consisted of but maybe a $100 or so for that

updating/virus scaning, etc $50-100 per machine depending if i did 1 thing or 20.

hope that helps alittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom