what to study outside of class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j115511

Solid State Member
Hey, i just finished my first semester towards an associates degree, I only took a couple classes while working full time. I will be going to school full time next semester. I was looking into going into networking, maybe becoming a network admin someday. I was just wondering what things i should/could study from home to get a little ahead of the game? What are a few essential programs I need to know? Also i was told by one of my teachers that i should probably wait to get certifications after the degree is finished. Any feedback would be helpful. thanks :smile:

Sharepoint and other microsoft programs are definitely things that can help round out your overall computer knowledge as well as appeal to employers. stuff like word, excel, powerpoint, are essentials to know purely because of how much you might be troubleshooting. Other than that some programming can't hurt, knowing basic python, visual basic, mysql and even java/php. That also will really round out your experience and make you more desirable to companies looking to hire IT people.

As far as the certs go I'd agree with your professor, wait until you get your degree, or at least until you take some classes specifically for those certs.

Thank you all for the information. It really is overwhelming when starting out. There is just so much information to sort through, its hard to tell where to begin and what to focus on. Hopefully as time goes on it will get easier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom