What qualification should I go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0dge

Hiphopapotamus.
I'm looking to make my hobby (being a geek!) into a career. I'm in the UK, and I want to find out about "General" courses. I know it's a broad spectrum, but I really don't know what I want to do yet! Nothing that involves programming or coding, as I've never really had any experience and wouldn't know where to start!

I have an A Level in "computing" which is the kind of course that I'm looking for now, but none of the colleges near me offer it any more. (I finished that course in 1998!)

What I'd like to be is just a Windows-PC tech, helping people (and maybe companies) out with hardware and software issues, as that seems to be what I'm good at.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys...

b0dge said:
I'm looking to make my hobby (being a geek!) into a career. I'm in the UK, and I want to find out about "General" courses. I know it's a broad spectrum, but I really don't know what I want to do yet! Nothing that involves programming or coding, as I've never really had any experience and wouldn't know where to start!

I have an A Level in "computing" which is the kind of course that I'm looking for now, but none of the colleges near me offer it any more. (I finished that course in 1998!)

What I'd like to be is just a Windows-PC tech, helping people (and maybe companies) out with hardware and software issues, as that seems to be what I'm good at.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys...

Hello, i'm in a similar boat to you although i finished my computing at college back in 96! I ended up following art and design instead of computing but no i want to get back into IT. I just recently got an comptia A+ which you might want to look at. I'm torn between going for the network+ or getting an MCP next. Have a look at this and see if that looks like what you are after http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/requirements.mspx

If you just want to start of doing basic computer technician job, I suggest getting an A+ and Network+ certification, at least it shows you are certified and not just some Joe guy from the street. Computer stores are willing to hire people who can fix computers and setup a basic home network for their customers.

I'm doing CISCO CCNA at the moment. But it is very easy (as in I walked into class had a little revision session and got 93% on the test with out any other work or even knowing the name of the module.)
(**** a crossover cable being required to connect a switch to a hub...)

It is a worthwhile course to be doing if you are interested in computers. Maybe one of those Microsoft courses but not too sure where you do them with no prior administrator experience.

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the info, all of you!

I'm looking into doing the A+ course as soon as possible. That looks like the perfect one for me.

ed-swckf: That link was useful, Thanks. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Google's been very good for finding out more with all those courses you all mentioned. I just needed to find out what they were called.

Thanks again.

Thanks man, again, that's really helpful.

This thread is giving me the "starter" information I need to get into the career I've always wanted.

I really apreciate all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom