What are the high paying tech jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
I'm talking like 100k and stuff like that. I just want to see what's about there. Atm, I'm considering computer engineering but that is at like 60k. That is ok, but I want to see what else is out there that makes good money. From my understanding, computer engineers design computer parts such as graphics cards. What exactly does this entail?

Depends on if your talking hardware engineers or software engineers, my guess is your talking hardware.

I found these two sites most helpful, for more information google is a good place to start your research.

Engineers
Career Information - Computer Hardware Engineers

I don't know of any entry level tech job that's going to start you around 100k a year. However after you put time and invest yourself into the industry you could be making at least that if you play your cards correct.

60K is not good money? Where do you live Japan? 60K is great money where I live, and that would be starting pay.

No one will start you at 100K unless you have several years of proven experience, so go ahead and pop that dream bubble up front.

Trotter is right. There is no place, espically now with the economy right now, that will pay you 100K for entry level. Case in point my bro in law.

Worked for at least 12 years at Kodak before he even got a interview with Microsoft. Got a job there at $110K a year after 12 years of working as a programmer.

Sorry mate. No way you will get $100K and up entry level. There are plenty of people that have the skills and experience they can be found.

Yeah unless you're expected to make tremendous advancements in computers, you're not gonna start out at 100k. I do know however, that IT jobs pay pretty decent, and it's one of the largest growing job fields.

Computer Engineering is VERY difficult. I'm not saying don't try it if you want, but it's a huge amount of math and science, and if you're not a strong student in those subjects, it might not be the field for you. Similar scenario in Computer Science.

Go into database architecture. They typically start out higher on the pay scale. Database admins also typically make more than a network admin.

so getting a degree in computer engineering and computer science are both about equally hard?

Also, say I got a degree in computer engineering, I could get a software or hardware engineering job from that?

Those with practical experience and at least a bachelor's degree in computer engineering or computer science should have the best opportunities. - from software engineering page

Also, how much of a difference would it make in salary if I, say, went to Case Western Reserve rather than like Ohio State or Akron University to get my computer engineering degree? Case is a very good school for engineering and is practically Ivy League. It isn't quite though, but its prices are up there. So would having a huge debt of over $100,000 be worth going there? I know Akron is an engineering school, but is OSU good at it. I know they are decent in just about everything, but would OSU be a good choice? It's in state, like Akron, so I could get a good tuition.

Software Engineer is basically a programmer. It would be different than a hardware engineer. Cause for software you have to be able to program in order to create and fix the software.

We cant tell you how much difference your salary would be. Each place hires at a different rate. Each place has their own hiring standards and their own criteria to meet. It would depend on where you were trying to get a job.

If all they are are programmers, how come they make more money? Aren't programmers down at like 40k?

Doesn't computer engineering cover programming and hardware building, so couldn't you become either with a degree in that? At one of the colleges I visited, the head of computer/electrical engineering said that computer engineers take programming languages instead of foreign languages. If you had to get a degree in something else, what would it be and why would the software engineering page say a degree in computer engineering will give you the best chances? I'm not sure, but I think I would rather be a hardware engineer if the job prospects were looking better for it. If I could do either with a computer engineering degree, that would be awesome.

Did you read my post above? My first post? I will quote it just for you.

Case in point my bro in law.

Worked for at least 12 years at Kodak before he even got a interview with Microsoft. Got a job there at $110K a year after 12 years of working as a programmer.

$40K? He makes like 3X that amount. He is working on the HyperV part of Windows Vista/Win7 right now. He is a programmer. No where near $40K at all. Not even when he was with Kodak.

He was the one working. His wife was at home with their 3 kids. I would think that being a programmer for a big company would have to be a bit better than $40K for just 1 parent to work with 3 kids and a wife to support. Somehow i dont think they could survive on $40K when me, my wife and baby are having a hard time doing that.

A software engineer is also a programmer. You think of the software that is needed and you build it. Just like a hardware engineer except to build software you need to program. Cant be a software engineer without being able to program cause you cant built it if you cant program it.

No being a computer engineer would cover both. Cause if you are building hardware you are just building drivers to make it work with the OS of choice. You are not designing software. You are designing drivers. Totally different.

Yeah they take programming languages but they take the programming lanuguages needed to program the hardware to work with the PC. Not the langeuages needed to program software to work on the PC. 2 totally different subjects you are talking about and getting mixed up with.

Hardware is only for the physical components and the stuff needed to run that hardware on the system. Drivers, BIOS and that stuff.

Software is for Windows, Office adn the software you run with the OS.

2 different engineering fields you are getting confused with 1 another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom