what courses should i do to become a computer technition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyoaks777

In Runtime
what courses should i do to become a computer technition. I am doing an HNC computing but i hate software and it's one of the core units to get ny HNC. I am starting VB next week which i doubt i will like either. The head say's i have to do these courses to become a computer tech, which i find strange as i thought you only needed comptia and MCDST. What i am really looking for is advice i want to know the ins and outs of computers and be able to fix them. I would really appreciate your views as to which are the best courses to do to become a computer technition.
thank you in advance

Umm sorry to inform you but being able to "Fix" computers is way more software related than hardware related. There is at least a 20 to 1 software to hardware issue ratio out there. Almost everything comes down to a bad piece of software or a driver which is still software. If you are strictly looking for hardware, then your in the wrong field. You need to know much more about software. How to install a OS, how to troubleshoot a OS install and so on. All of that is must know information. Not to mention the ins and outs of the OS to be able to fix issues that come along with it.

MCDST is based fully around this. So if you hate software so much you really should consider a different profession. As a Computer Tech is based mostly around Software.

Yeah, I agree. Even if you went in to the industry engineering hardware such as motherboards or something, it is attainable with a lot of hard work and $$$, and software knowledge as well. Lots of it. However, on top of that, you will have to know software inside and out. To do PC repair, you even still have to know about operating systems, drivers, etc. You will always encounter software, it would be like saying I want to know how to build an engine, but don't want to know about gasoline/petro.

Give VB a chance, you might like it. You might like software better after that, because it opens up your eyes to how computers work from another perspective.

As others have said programming is the basis behind every piece of hardware. And software fails way more than hardware.

With that said, while it isn't necessary to know visual basic to replace a hard drive - if you are going for your bachelors you DO NOT want to get into hardware computer repair. Why? Because it doesn't pay. If you want to just fix hardware on computers and you are happy making 12 to 15 dollars an hour for the rest of your life then by all means don't take that class. If you want to move up within the IT world and do more than hardware swapouts you'll need to learn VB, servers, networking and everything else that your degree field will require you to study.

ok thanks now i need to stick in then. Though i do know how to install an os and drivers done it loads of times with different versions of xp and so on. thanks guys

It's much more than just installing an OS/drivers. What if you get a weird error? You have to be able to know how to fix that error as well.

ok thanks now i need to stick in then. Though i do know how to install an os and drivers done it loads of times with different versions of xp and so on. thanks guys
Carnage is right. It is way more than just installing a OS and drivers. Just look at some of the questions you have asked yourself. That is stuff that you should know in order to answer them for others. Just look at the multitude of stuff that gets asked in the Windows area.

Just about everything listed in the Win7 FAQ thread should be known and able to be sprouted off without hesitation when asked about it. Where do you think i got almost all of that information? It came from my knowledge.

You have to be able to know how to work with the issues and resolve them. Just installing software is only 5% of the 90% of things that you will come across. you have to know how to work with the software. Installing Firefox is nothing. But what about getting people's bookmarks from a different PC? What about getting their extensions so they dont have to reinstall them all again? What about their settings for the file associations?

Can you just out of thin air be able to answer questions like that without having to resort to Google or other search engines? That is stuff that you need to know. Swapping out a piece of hardware is nothing. Dell pays people $10 a hour to sit on a assembly line doing it. (Actual pay may vary this is just a guess) From the sounds of it you want a job like the Geek Squad. Where if you cant figure out the problem, you just format and reinstall the OS and be done with the hassle. That is not real Computer Tech stuff. Real Computer Tech stuff try to FIX the problem and resort to a reinstall as the very LAST option ever.

So just sucking it up isnt going to do it. As you really, really, REALLY need to know software to be a Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) as this is what it involves. Hardware failure is a very small % of what really goes wrong. Maybe 10%. Installing Os and drivers is only 5%. That leaves 85% of the work you do trying to figure out and fix software issues without formatting.

thanks guys i know what you mean by needing to know errors 0x0e39087 things like that you mean if i am right i dont know them and IRQ's i will have a look at that thread Mak as this is what i am interested in. But i am still not sure what i have to learn courses wise to get qualified to do this if you could point me in the right direstion that would be a great help. Over hear in the uk you get £27k a year being a DST and i am sure MCDST is all they want from you i maybe wrong though.

Well you will need to either enter the Information Technology aspect offered by the colleges or the Computer Engineering. IT will be the one you want as the Engineering is the one that is based all toward you creating the software yourself or the hardware. The IT Field is the one that does the support.

We cant give you specifics cause we DONT know what colleges you are looking at or what they offer. We can tell you that things like A+, NET+ and MCITP for Vista and Win7 will be of great help. Along with anything you can learn from College.

i have done IC3 and MCAS still to sit vista outlook and access.If i pass outlook i get a masters from Microsoft as i have passed word excel and PowerPoint all at HNC level which is level 7. I dont know if that makes sense to you, but basically i need 15 credits at HNC level to go on and do an HND. But thanks for the advice Mak as i was thinking of packing it in as i didn't have a clue as to what courses to do i will provide links to college and a uni where i done my MCAS.Motherwell College Index and here is the uni http://www.uws.ac.uk/about/hamilton/index.asp . If you can tell me what courses to do that would be fantastic.
thank you in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom