what college to attend, and what career to aim for

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteryBox

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm currently in high school, and I'm thinking of getting a job in the computer industry as I have always been interested in computers. But I don't know anything about which college to go to, and what I job I should aim for. I'm thinking about a job dealing with hardware, but I am still thinking about it and I am still open to suggestions. Can anyone recommend a job with high pay and minimal experience (and by "minimal", I mean a job that doesn't require 10+ years of experience). and which college would be best to go to? I live in Pennsylvania so colleges within 1-2 days drive would be nice. Are there websites that list colleges best for me?

p.s. I see people on this forum talking about an "A+ certificate", can anyone explain what this is?

p.p.s. What are some things I can do to prepare me/get experience for a job in the computer industry? I have built computers before, would this be something I could put on my resume?

thanks

Please realize that job pay and experience are usually directly related. So if you want a job that requires zero experience, normally it isn't going to pay much. On the flip side of that a job that requires that 10 years of experience will pay much more. So those two factors are directly related in 99% of the industry.

As for what job to do, we can't answer that for you. My best advice would be to do what you love - don't do something because it pays well or its convenient. I see far too many people out there hating their job and life because they choose a career path for the wrong reasons (IE what paid the most). Find a job you are passionate about and enjoy. The money will come with time and experience, enjoying your job -what you spend 8 hours a day at, 40 hours a week at is much more important IMO. You should ask your close friends and family - not strangers on a forum. Do what you love, you're young so if you are unsure what to do try a few jobs out - see what you like. Remember that if you end up doing something and not liking it, it's not the end of the world - just go get another job.

For the A+, its a certification that you can get to show you know about computer hardware. I would suggest studying up and getting your A+ and a few other certifications - it will not only help you land your first IT job, it will give you an idea of what you really enjoy.

But I don't know anything about which college to go to, and what I job I should aim for.
First, unless you're going to one of the top universities to study a technical field (MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford), it doesn't really matter. Second, your college major does not dictate your career path. This seems to be a common misconception with high school students.

I would recommend that you use Google to research different careers in the computing industry, as there are several very different options. Here's a few to get you started: software developer, network administrator, systems engineer.

Here's a sampling of computing-related degree programs offered at most universities:
- Computer Science
- Software Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Mathematics
- Physics

Sry for invading this thread but i was thinking of trying to go for that A+ certification as a backup career myself. I'm a bit of a techie myself n have experience, my passion is computers, game art, n video games n im always trying to find a way to blend them all together. I do have a question about what kind of opportunities does that A+ certification will give me on the long run?

In the long run not many. It expires after 3 years and it is considered an entry level certification. So the A+ will only assist you in getting your foot in the door, any 'higher' level job will still want an A+ but will want other certifications as well as experience.

Experience is like gold in IT. It outweighs most other factors. A+ is designed to get you an entry level job working at a mom and pop shop or help desk, from there you can get your experience and a few other harder certs and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom