What certs to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buechee

Solid State Member
I'm new to all of this. I'm studying for the A+ now and I would like to know what other certs should I obtain? I have looked at the network+, security+, server+ and project+. I also would like to know if I should get certifications with Microsoft and Cisco as well. Or if one if one is better than the other?

Yes, but it varies from region to region, company to company, industry to industry. If you are good at what you do and you get with the right company you can make good money doing almost any type of IT work unless you are stuck at an entry level position.

I refuse to be stuck. I really want to go out on my own in the next 2 years. I want to get a few small (10 to 50 people) businesses and just do free lance or consulting work for them and has I grow from there, hire more techs so I can add more companies on. I'm just not sure what sector I want to service yet.

Like lex said, since you are aiming for the A+ currently that is your main priority for now.
Pass the 2009 version of comptia a+ or wait until april for their new updated 2012 which is geared towards new technicians on current hardware and software.

Also I recommend you look into getting your net+ and security+.
Why you ask ? most average tech businesses and even the army and miliary will see that you have those under your belt, and put you into a good starting role wherever they place you.

To make it worthwhile aim for a IT degree or diploma, when you have those as it will cover some of your core prerisaquites and help you up to the point where you can start handling advancements of being a technician or basic network technician when doing your field of study.

If you were to ask me, I am aiming for the security+ cert and going in last for network+ before late jne.
I like troubleshooting and fixing peoples computers and stopping people who like to break into pc's wether by hardware or softwarewise. :)

I have college under my belt already, some that is. I'm get my associates degree out the way. Do you mean join the military or work as a civilian with the military? I'm ex-Air Force and have no plans of going back, but I would work for them as the govt. pays well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom